*IX

Don't forget to Vote and Comment.❤

Chapter 9

Zayn felt exhausted when he got home. He dropped his body down on the couch since it was the first thing that caught his eye. What Louis had told him, had stuck with him. Not only because he felt so bad for what was happening with his best friend's marriage, but knowing that his love was involved in that mess too.

Sighing, he got up from the couch, even though his body protested. He went to the fridge and grabbed a cold bottle of water when he heard a knock at his front door. Zayn swore to himself if it was any of his neighbors needing something from him, he was going to call the police.

Without asking or even checking to see who it was, Zayn opened the door. Liam stood there and his face had a look of worry and anger.

"What do you want Liam?" Zayn turned his back to him, leaving the door open, so Liam could follow him.

Closing the door and locking it, Liam spoke, "I have been calling you for three hours now. I was so worried."

Zayn scowled and sat on his couch, placing his head in his hands. "When were you going to tell me, Liam?" He asked ignoring Liam's words.

"Tell you what?" He furrowed his eyebrows and didn't even try to sit down.

"Don't act stupid Liam. You know very well, what I’m talking about." When Liam didn't change his position nor his facial expression Zayn added, "I’m talking about Louis."

Liam decided to sit down this time. It looked like the blood drained from his face as he went from pale to paler. Swallowing he spoke, "He told you?"

Zayn looked at him incredulously nodding his head. "Yes, Liam. My best friend told me the miserable situation he's in. How his husband, isn't really his husband cause he treats him worse than a street rat, and cheats on him with a lot of people. Oh, what else? Let me think..." Zayn put his index finger under his chin. "Oh yeah. You knew about it too from the beginning. How could you Liam?"

"I swear I didn't-"

"Don't tell me you didn't know, or you’re getting out of my life this instant!" Zayn stomped his foot.

"I didn't know Louis was such a nice person. I was just backing my best friend without knowing the situation very well. When I knew, I demanded that Harry stop! I swear I did!" Liam got up from the chair he was sitting in and kneeled between Zayn's thighs grabbing his face to look at him.

"So why did you agree with Liam? You didn't even tell me my friend was going through hell." Zayn's eyes filled with tears, and it was a rarity, because Zayn didn't cry easily, he usually was a reserved person. Liam wiped his tears away and then kissed his knuckles.

"I know baby, I am so sorry. I know I don't deserve your forgiveness,  but I couldn't tell anyone about a situation that isn't mine. It was Louis and Harry's marriage."

"My best friend's Liam! How would you feel if it was Louis treating Harry that way and I knew it all from the beginning but told you nothing? You would feel so useless because there is nothing that you can do to help your friend! Hm, Liam?"

"I would feel terrible baby. So so bad. I am so very sorry." Liam kissed his cheek when Zayn didn't even move.

Zayn looked at his boyfriend after a couple of minutes had passed. “You are lucky Louis forgave you and asked me to not break up with you. He is an angel. Too good for the likes of Harry Styles."

"That’s what makes me feel worse for the way I acted. He is such a good person. However, I actually feel pity for Harry because Harry is losing someone exceptional and isn't even acknowledging it."

"Don't mention him. If he wasn't your best friend the first thing I would've done was kick him in the balls so hard he would be wearing them as earrings!," Zayn huffed and crossed his arm, resting his back on the couch, Liam still in between his legs. " And you!" Zayn pointed at him, "If it wasn't for Louis you would be sleeping in the dog house tonight, without eating nor drinking."

Liam smiled, crinkling his eyes and got closer to Zayn's face. "I know baby, I've been such a bad boy." He said before leaning in and kissing him, making Zayn's anger immediately disappear.

It was early in the morning when Louis entered his house. He felt his eyes become heavy and his body tired as he hooked his jean-jacket inside the little closet near the main door.

The house was silent, it was still early so it was expected to be that way. He looked around the hall, to the entrance of the kitchen, the living room, and then the stairs. He sighed, closing his burning eyes from the lack of sleep and rubbing them harshly, and started pacing quietly towards the stairs to go to his room.

A nice cold shower, that's what he needed. It would wake him up and a nice cup of coffee would do the deed to keep his brain functioning.

After telling the truth to his friends yesterday, Niall had refused to let him go just yet and invited him to sleep over at his house, since he lived alone. After a couple of "no's", Louis, had agreed and slept there. Zayn instead went to his flat, deciding he would be up for it another time.

Niall had ordered sushi, played some Fifa with him, refusing to let Louis win out of pity, which sounded great to Louis since the last thing Louis wanted was pity from his friends.

After that, they had talked all night about Louis' situation and then Louis had decided to lift the mood by bringing up Dua and keeping up with his best friend's personal life. Apparently, Niall was still too shy to ask her out. Niall was never shy! This was beyond Louis’ comprehension to understand. 

He was startled and stopped in his tracks at the top of the stairs when he heard a door closing with an enormous bang.

"Where were you last night?" Harry appeared, when Louis turned around to face him, with a hand over his chest. Harry looked tired too, his eyes droopy and the bags under his eyes slightly visible.

Harry crossed his arm and arched his brow expecting an answer, while Louis breathed in and out. "Well?!" He shouted. Louis winced.

"Oh stop it, Harry, it's too early for you to start screaming at this time in the morning," he rubbed his index fingers on his temples.

Biting the corner of his bottom lip in frustration, Harry spoke again, "I'm going to scream and shout-"

"And let it all out? Didn't take you for a Black Eyed Peas' fan." Louis snorted.

"Feeling sassy today, are we?" Harry walked two steps closer to him pointing his finger, "Stop being a smartass and answer my question! Where were you last night?"

"Why do you even care, Harry? I’m tired and I wanna sleep, but I have to go to work in an hour and a half, so if you’ll please, just let me be." Louis sighed and rolled his head back closing his eyes. He could tell Harry easily that he was at Niall's, but he didn't want to quench his husband's thirst just yet.

"Wonder what kept you up all night and got you this tired..." Harry tilted his head and raised his brow again.

"Think whatever you want Harry... I'm exhausted."

"Louis, for your own good answer me where were you? Now!" Harry snarled through gritted teeth, his jaw clenching.

"Oh, Lord! I was at Niall's! Happy now? Can I go to my room? Jesus!" Louis answered and turned around again to go to his room, now that Harry got his answer. Why did he want to know? He was so fatigued so he  didn't want to drag the conversation out for much longer.

"Uh... Liam?" Louis said as he poked his head in Liam's office. It looked as if Liam was swimming in files, and his brows were furrowed as if he was concentrating and reading something he didn't like. Louis felt bad for interrupting him but needed to talk to him immediately.

Liam raised his head and smiled when he saw Louis standing uncomfortably by the door, "Oh, Louis. Please come in!"

Clasping his hands in front of him after closing the door, Louis stood in front of Liam's desk after declining to sit down. "I have to talk to you about something, I hope I’m not bothering you."

"Nonsense!" Liam said shaking his head getting up and stuffing his hands in the pockets of his pants, "What's bothering you?"

"Well," Louis scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, "I know this might sound silly, but Harry said that today, the agency will send me the candidates for the position to be my assistant and they did, but all the candidates are um... how do I put this without sounding mean?" Louis shifted his weight on his feet looking around the room.

"Hey, no worries. Go on." Liam patted him on the shoulder.

"The candidates are all women that look over fifty-five. Now, I’m not a person to judge by age, but I need younger people with a lot more energy to help me and be my right arm. Do you think you can talk to the agency and ask if there are more people more suited for the position, only if you can?"

Liam closed his eyes lowering and shaking his head. He seemed to think for a few minutes and then patted Louis on the shoulder again, "Let me talk to Harry first, and then I can see what I can do. I'm sure we can work out something. Thank you for telling me."

"Thank you so much for helping me. I won’t send the ladies away yet if the agency doesn't have other options." Louis said with hopeful eyes and left Liam's office.

Liam scoffed, straightened his jacket and left his office to go to Harry's. His friend needed another scolding.

He knocked on the door and then entered it without waiting for an answer. "Can I talk to you for a minute?" Liam said as he closed the door.

"Sure, let me just sign these," Harry said without bothering to raise his head. A few minutes later he looked at his friend, "What’s up Liam?"

Liam turned around from where he was looking out the window and looked at his friend incredulously, "What do you think you're doing Harry?"

Harry rested his hands on the arms of the chair, furrowing his brows, "Do you mind explaining what you are talking about?"

Liam scoffed, "Don't you think I would've guessed if you were the one to tell the agency to bring only old women as an option to be Louis' assistant? You are really insulting my intelligence."

Harry lowered his head, looking at his lap, "I don't know what you are talking about. The agency brought the options they had, I have nothing to do with it." Harry rushed.

"We've been best friends for over ten years, Harry, I know when you're lying. Why did you do that? Are you afraid Louis is going to be better than you?" Liam tilted his head raising his brows.

"I'm not afraid of anything!" Harry shouted, getting up from his chair, pointing at the desk.

"You practically admitted you did it. Then if you're not afraid of anything, why older women? Ohhh... I get it now." Liam chuckled running his hand through his quiff.

"What is it that you get?" Harry squinted his eyes, crossing his hands over his chest.

"You didn't want younger guys around Louis did you?"

"That's not it!" Harry's face went a slight shade more red. "You're talking bullshit!"

"Your red face says everything. You like him, don't you? That explains the fight too. Hah, could've guessed!" Liam's face morphed to an amused one.

"You need to get your brain checked Liam. I don't like him." Harry turned around to get himself a glass of whiskey. Liam didn't say anything as he filled it with alcohol and gulped it down in one go.

"Now that's a denial I’m not going to believe," Liam said as he walked out the door, and slammed it shut.

After talking to Harry, Liam decided to tell Louis, that the ladies were his only options. He hated to lie to him, but he didn't want his best friend to have a harder time. Maybe, Louis and Harry could get closer working together. He could only hope for the best.

"Of course I can take care of my Kitty, she's my sweetie-pie! I've missed her so much!" Louis said to Gemma as he was pouring some tea in his mug. He had just come home after a stressful day at work. After being told by Liam that the ladies were his only options, Louis had decided to hire Margaret, who seemed to have more experience and appeared to be a willing-to-work type of person.

"We called our babysitter, but she couldn't make it tonight. Since it's me and Josh’s  anniversary we decided to treat ourselves to a five-star restaurant. My Kathy need's constant attention and mom and dad are too tired to run after her." Gemma replied. She sounded as if she was speaking with her phone between her ear and her shoulder.

"Don't be silly. I would love to take care of her. You know how much I love her." Louis said adding some milk to his tea. "When do you think you can be here with my Kitty?"

"About half hour, forty minutes max."

"Great, I can take a shower meanwhile. I'll be waiting for you."

"Where's my brother?" Gemma asked.

Louis rolled his eyes and sighed. His only interaction with Harry for the day had been in the morning when he had asked Louis where he had been. "He's still at work. I think he'll be here later than you."

"Fantastic. I'm gonna go now. See you later."

"See you later." Louis put down his phone and took a sip of his tea, reading today's news. He was lacking sleep but he was excited for seeing his Kitty again.

Louis felt much better after he took a long shower. He put on a pair of grey sweat since it was chilly tonight and a black shirt. As if on cue he heard the doorbell. Brushing his fingers through his bangs went to open the door. Becca still hasn't been back.

"Hi, baby." He took Kathy in his arms and the little girl immediately curled her arms around his neck. He patted her back and kissed the side of her head. "Hey, Gemma. You look fantastic tonight."

"Hello, and thank you, Louis," his sister-in-law kissed his cheek and entered the house. "What were you doing?"

"Oh nothing, just waiting for you." He diverted his attention to the little girl in his arms. "I was so excited to pass the night with my Kitty. We're gonna have so much fun, aren't we?"

"Yes!" She raised her hands in excitement, "My LouLou is the best! I missed you so much." She pouted.

"Aww, I missed you too baby. Very very very much!" Louis brushed his nose to hers.

"Sorry to interrupt the happy couple, but here are her clothes and her favorite toy. His name is Fluffy." Gemma placed a big white bag on Louis' shoulder and the white rabbit toy in her daughter's hand.

"We're gonna have a great night, don't worry Gem. Just try and enjoy your night. Tomorrow morning we'll be here waiting for you." He said smiling at his sister-in-law.

"Mommy, LouLou and I will be fine. Bye!" The little girl waved at her mommy as the latter kissed her forehead.

"Once again," Gemma said walking out of the house, "thank you so so much, Louis."

"It's nothing. Stop thanking me!" Louis waved at her dismissively. "Good night!" He closed the door and went to the kitchen. He placed the white bag on the counter and sat Kathy on it too.

"So, what do you think we should do tonight hm?" He bopped her nose.

She squeezed his cheeks in her hands. "I know, I know! We should make mac n'cheese, and then watch all the Disney movies there are!" She spread her arms.

"That is an amazing plan. First thing's first let's put your bag in my- uhm our room. Me and your uncle's room." Louis coughed.

He grabbed Kathy again, climbed up the stairs and put the little girl's bag in his room. He changed her clothes, putting on her pajamas.

They went back to the kitchen and started cooking Kathy's favorite dish again.

"When is Uncle Harry coming?" The little girl asked as she took the wooden spoon from Louis' hand and started stirring the dish.

"It shouldn't be long until he’s here. Why?" Louis answered as he licked his fingers.

"Nothing just wondering. Umm... you love my uncle so much don't you LouLou?" The girl asked without raising her eyes from where they were looking at the pan.

Louis gulped and looked at her for several seconds. It's true that kids understand some things better than adults. "Yes, I do."

"I know. You look at him the way my mommy and daddy look at each other but Uncle Harry doesn't look at you. At all." The little girl trailed the last words quietly, but Louis managed to hear them. It hurt that even a four-year-old could clearly see that Harry despised him. Louis knew it, very well but getting it confirmed by a little girl, hurt more.

Louis coughed and wiped his eyes quickly. "We should open the window, get the smell out of the kitchen. It smells like cheese in here." Louis tried to change the subject and joke but hated how his voice betrayed him in the end.

After finishing the dish, Harry came home. Louis hoped Harry wouldn't say anything before he saw Kathy, so that's why he got to him before he could. "Hey Harry, Kathy is here," he said with the little girl in his arms.

"Oh, okay. How are you doing sweetie?" Harry pinched her cheek.

The little girl moved her head away, "Fine." She answered, looking at him bored.

"So, we made some mac n'cheese if you'd like." Louis tried to look as genuine as he could.

"Great. I’m hungry."

"Now we're going to see The Little Mermaid. You can join us if you'd like." Louis gave him a half smile.

"I shall see. You can start without me." Harry said hanging his coat on the hanger.

"As if we'd wait for you. Let's go LouLou." Kathy squirmed in his arms to get him to go to the living room.

They put on the movie and got comfortable in front of the TV. Kitty laid down on the couch with her head on Louis' lap. Louis started brushing his fingers through the little girl's hair and she sighed; liking the gesture.

Halfway into the movie Harry joined them on the couch. Kathy immediately got up on Louis' lap, with her head on his shoulder. Louis smiled at her and didn't dare to look at his husband.

"Is this your favorite Disney movie Kathy?" Harry asked.

"Yes."

"Why do you treat me so mean darling. I’m your uncle, not your LouLou." Harry pouted.

"Because LouLou is sweeter than you. Now hush and let me watch the movie." The little girl huffed and crossed her arms on her chest. The final act reminded Louis of Harry. She had his eyes too, and his character a little, being stubborn and with her in-your-face attitude.

"Shhh sweetie, don't talk to your uncle like that." Louis hushed her by patting her head.

"But LouLou!"

"No, baby. Now let's watch the movie." He turned his eyes to the television in front of him.

They stayed silent again, for about ten minutes, when Kathy started moving closer to Louis' ear. With a hushed voice, she spoke "LouLou?"

"Yes, Kitty?" He answered the same way.

"Uncle Harry is looking at you the way we talked before. The way you look at him."

Louis' eyes widened and looked at her in surprise. He didn't know what to say or how to respond. He waited a few seconds before turning his head. Louis met Harry's gaze, from where he was sitting cross-legged, his arms resting on the couch, putting mere inches between them. As soon as their gaze met, Harry turned his face to the television again and coughed awkwardly.

Maybe Kathy was wrong? Harry didn't look at him in any other way that wasn't with disgust. Louis knew that look very well. He had been living under that look for more than five months now, and it wasn't going to change.  Maybe Harry was looking at his niece, and she made a mistake thinking he was looking at Louis.

He smiled at her as if to reassure her that everything is fine and looked back at the movie, which didn't seem to end anytime soon.

Rocking her gently in his arms, Kathy yawned, and blinked slowly, snapping him out of his thoughts. It was late for her. Louis thought he should put her to bed, sleep with her too since he lacked sleep as well.

"Sleepy Kitty?" He asked kissing her forehead.

"Mhmm..." she murmured. Louis put his hand gently on her back and rested her head on his shoulder. "Come on baby, let's get you to bed."

"Where am I going to sleep?" She asked with a quiet and sleepy voice.

Louis cooed from the sweetness. "With me, baby in my... uh... in the guest room."

"Nooo... I wanna sleep in the big bed with you and Uncle Harry." Louis swallowed hard at the little girl's words and felt Harry's gaze on his back as he got up from the couch.

"We can't sweetie, you kick and move too much in your sleep, and we don't want a grumpy Uncle Harry in the morning, now do we?" Louis managed to make up lies trying to get out of that situation.

"I don't mind." He heard Harry's voice coming from behind his back. Louis turned around, his mouth gaping and looking at Harry with moon eyes. What was going on, on Harry's mind? Was this some kind of a sick joke?

"What are you doing?" Louis mouthed at him. Here was Louis trying to get to change Kathy's mind, for Harry to get them deeper into this situation.

Harry just shrugged.

"See LouLou? Uncle Harry doesn't mind. Now carry me to your room." Kathy motioned with her hand towards the stairs. Louis narrowed his eyes at Harry. There was something going on here. If Harry agreed this easily to Louis sleeping in his room, there was some sick plan behind it. Maybe he was going to spill cold water on him, while Louis was asleep.

Walking quietly towards the room, Louis shushed quietly at the little girl in his arms. The last and only time, Louis had slept in this room had been when Harry got home beaten up, and Louis fell accidentally asleep at the side of the bed. He sighed in misery and laid Kathy gently on the bed.

Louis went to his room, to change into his pajamas and brush his teeth. He looked at himself in the mirror. Was he really going to do this? Sleep in the same bed as Harry?

His heart beat faster than normal, and his hands turned clammy. He couldn't stop himself from getting nervous, and to think that this was his husband he was sharing a bed with. If it wasn't for Kathy this would've never happened.

Louis closed the door of his room gently, and slowly walked back to Harry's room, finding him already there. Harry had changed too, in comfortable clothes, and now he was getting Kathy in between the sheets, in the middle of the bed.

He looked at Louis and motioned for him to get in bed. Hesitantly, Louis walked to the other side of the room and got in bed trying to be as quiet as he could to not wake Kathy. As soon as Louis rested his back on the bed, the little girl instantly latched herself into him, placing her head on his shoulder.

A few moments later, Louis felt the bed dip. He didn't dare turn his head and look at Harry. He felt uncomfortable as it was, and Louis didn't need another reason to feel even more nervous.

He closed his eyes and tried to even his breath. Counting to one hundred never felt so useless. Kathy was breathing in and out tiny puffs of air, and it was calming in a kind of way.

"I know you're not asleep." Harry's voice echoed through the dark room, some light coming in from the street lamps below.

Louis closed his eyes harder as if it would help him sleep and get Harry to shut up. "I'm trying." Louis smacked his lips.

"Try harder."

The urge was stronger than him, so he turned his head to look at Harry. His husband was laying on his back, arms crossed over his chest (typical), looking at the ceiling. As if he felt Louis' eyes, he rotated his body towards Louis' direction and looked him straight in the eye.

"What is it to you if I don't sleep? Try and sleep for yourself." Louis said whispering.

"Are we really going to argue over sleeping? Pathetic." Harry rolled his eyes.

Louis huffed. "You started it." He whispered again and looked at Kathy's face to see any sign of her not being asleep.

"And I am going to finish it. Sleep." he ordered as if sleeping could be done on command.

Louis didn't respond, but kept his eyes open, looking at Harry and challenging him. They stayed looking at each other for a long time until Louis lost and fell asleep first.

When Louis woke up the next morning, he felt a little hand and warm   light on his face. He also registered a heavy weight on his back, as he was on his stomach. It was too heavy to be Kathy. Louis slowly opened his eyes, and the first thing he saw was Kathy's smiling face.

He tried getting up, but someone's torso was on his back and a few strands of curls falling on his neck. When did Harry get in this position? Harry's arm was resting in front of him, engulfing Louis even more to his body. Even though Louis wanted to stay there and enjoy the warmth of Harry's body he knew he couldn't. Heart beating faster, he tried to get out of Harry's arms as slow as he could. When he tried at first getting rid of his husband's arm, Harry strongly curled his arm. He pat his arm calling his name slowly, and Harry barely moved but Louis managed to get out.

When Louis got out of the bed, he saw Kathy giggling and covering her mouth with her hand. "Morning Kitty. What’s so funny?"

"Morning LouLou," the little girl threw her arms around Louis' neck, "I woke up because I needed to pee, and when I turned from the bathroom Uncle Harry was already on you. I think I was the only thing that stopped him from being on you all night."

Louis' eyes widened. He knew Kathy was just a little girl, and she didn't mean for the words to sound the way they did. "Kitty! Enough you little minx. Let's go wash our faces and brush our teeth. Then breakfast? Sound good?" Louis hoisted her up and walked to the bathroom.

"Does breakfast include Cheerios?" Kathy narrowed her eyes.

"Of course it does." Louis said with a 'duh' face.

"Yay! You're the best LouLou. Uncle Harry knows it too."

_____________________________________________