Chapter 11- Brad's POV

I feel a bit bad about abandoning Tristan. I know he's literally in the room next door to me, but he's alone in there. He was upset and tired and needed somewhere safe to go, but I still feel bad. I can see why the bartender described him as nervous, but to be fair I would be nervous too if I had to deal with a boyfriend like his. 

Lying here worrying about Tristan isn't helping me get to sleep, if anything it's just making me even more awake. I just hope he's ok, he's had such a rough time. His boyfriend treats him so badly, and yet he still went back to him. I don't know why he would do that, it seems like asking for trouble. That said, I've never had an abusive boyfriend so I don't know what it's like, and I don't know what it's like in Tristan's head either. But hopefully I'll find out at some point, assuming we stay friends. I'd like to- he's such a nice guy and he's really funny when you get to know him.

Eventually, I decide to go and check on him, just to make sure he's ok. I'd hate to think of him being alone and scared when I could so easily have done something. I get out of bed and notice that he's left the door open, and he's also sleeping with the bedside lamp on. I struggle to sleep unless I'm in pitch darkness, I have no idea how he manages with a light right next to him.

I have to smile to myself when I see his sleeping form curled up clutching a pillow. He looks slightly tense though, like he's afraid of something. Maybe I'm just imagining it, as after all he is sound asleep. Suddenly, he flinches, which gives me a bit of a shock. I was right though, there's something up. I don't know what to do- should I wake him up or should I leave him to see if it passes? I don't know much about nightmares, I haven't had one since I was a child.

Luckily (or maybe unluckily for him), my question is answered when Tristan lets out a whimper and sits up. He looks a mixture of confused, sad and scared, and it breaks my heart. Actually, he looks more than scared, he looks terrified. "Hey." I say gently, going over and putting a hand on his shoulder comfortingly. "You ok?" Obviously he isn't, but I'm just trying to be nice to him.

Tristan looks up at me, his eyes swimming with tears. "Why are you in here?" It doesn't come across rudely, more like he's genuinely unsure. That's understandable- I would be confused to if I woke up to find someone stood in my room.

"I wanted to check on you." I say. "I guess it's good I did."

Tristan bites his lip. "I'm sorry."

"You don't need to be sorry." I say gently. "It's ok, it was just a dream. Does that happen a lot?"

"Sometimes." he says, a tear rolling down his cheek, and it's really hard to resist the urge to wipe it away. "Usually only if I'm worried or stressed."

"I can see why you might be worried and stressed right now." I say sympathetically. "But it's ok, I promise. Do you want to go back to sleep now?" Tristan nods, but he looks slightly hesistant, like he wants to ask something. "You ok?" I ask.

He nods. "Yeah.." 

I wait for him to finish, but he doesn't. I give him a small smile. "Night. Try and get some sleep."

I'm about to leave when I hear Tristan blurt out "Wait." I smile- somehow I knew that this was going to happen. "Can you stay with me?" he asks, blushing slightly. "Like, if you don't mind."

"Of course I don't." I say. "Remember what I said? Friends help each other out."

"Still cheesy." comes Tristan's voice, slightly muffled by the pillow. 

I roll my eyes, climbing into bed beside him. "Is this better?"

He nods. "Yes." He pauses slightly before saying "Thank you for doing this."

"It's ok." I assure him- it really is, I want him to be happy. "Do you want the lamp off."

He shakes his head firmly. "No thanks. I really don't like sleeping in the dark, it makes me uncomfortable."

"Fair enough." I say. "Now get some sleep." My order seems to work, as soon enough Tristan is snuggled up fast asleep beside me. I still can't get to sleep myself, but I will eventually. I couldn't earlier because I was so worried about him, but that's sorted. I can finally chill out, knowing that Tristan is safe and happy, and because it's just so comfortable sleeping next to him.

-------

I feel like this wasn't very good 🙈 Never mind. And it's a day earlier because I have to visit my grandma tomorrow, and I won't be able to update then (and I have to share a bed with my sister, rip me)