Chapter 12- Tristan's POV

A/n- this chapter mentions eating disorders, please don't read if that might upset you ❤️

I slept well last night, which makes a change. Once I had Brad beside me, I felt safe and comfortable and was finally able to sleep. Usually I lie in bed alone wondering where Corey is or crying, quite often both at the same time. But that was the best I've slept in ages, despite the nightmare. I'm used to them by now, so they don't really phase me.

I woke up to find Brad already up and making coffee. "Do you want some?" he called after making sure that I was awake. 

"No thank you." I'd said in response. "Can I just have some water?" Brad went to sort that out, and I'm getting dressed. I put on yesterday's jeans and a thankfully clean shirt that I accidentally left here. I guess me panicking was useful in the end.

I head into the kitchen to find Brad sitting at the table. "Hey." he greets. "Did you sleep well?"

I nod. "Thank you for staying with me." 

I can feel myself blushing, but Brad just smiles at me. "It's ok. I'm glad you slept well. Do you want some breakfast?"

"No thank you." I say, shaking my head. "I don't really eat much in the mornings." I add by way of explanation when I see his confused face.

"Are you sure?" he asks, looking slightly concerned. "You don't really eat much at all."

"I guess that's why I'm skinny." I joke, not really wanting to talk about it. The real reason is Corey related, as so many of my problems are. He used to abandon me so often that I kind of wanted a way to make myself physically as empty as I felt inside. It's better now, but I don't think this is the time to bring up my issues.

Brad seems to get the message that I don't want to talk about it, so he changes the subject. "Did you check your bag? I didn't take anything out, but still."

I shake my head. "I haven't yet." I admit. "Let me go and grab it now." I go to get it and then start showing Brad some of the contents. 

"I can't believe you brought 5 books." he says with a smile on his face. "I don't think I  could read that many in a year."

I smile. "You should. I only brought my favourites, I have loads more."

"Why am I not surprised?" Brad says, pouring milk on his cereal. "Which is the one you said I'd like?"

I hand him my copy of On the Road. "This one. It's a lot of fun, but stressful."

"Stressful?" Brad asks. "How can a book be stressful?"

"They keep running out of food and money and have to hitchhike to places." I explain. "Just the thought of that stresses me out." Brad laughs, and I can't stop myself from smiling. It's such a nice sound, and I can only dream of being that genuinely happy. But I think I'm getting there.

Over my water and Brad's proper breakfast, I show him the rest of my books- I brought Of Mice And Men, The Goldfinch, Jude The Obscure and Slaughterhouse 5. "I haven't even heard of most of these." Brad says, picking one up from the pile.

I roll my eyes affectionately. "Did you not do English at school?"

"I did," Brad laughs, "But I spent more time in piano lessons than actual ones."

I smile. "I guess it paid off." 

"Indeed." Brad nods. We stay at the table chatting for ages, and I find myself wondering if this is what proper relationships are like. Obviously me and Brad are just friends, but I'm mostly used to a relationship where we both hated each other to the extent that violence and tears played a big part, so I'm maybe not the best judge. "What are you thinking about?" Brad asks, snapping me out of it.

"Nothing." I blush. "Actually, I tell a lie. Corey."

Brad gives me a small smile. "Corey sounds a bit like an ex of mine. He had some serious issues, and mostly took them out on me."

I know only too well how that feels, so I try to lighten the mood. "Maybe they knew each other from school. How to be a shit boyfriend 101."

Brad laughs. "Or related. Separated at birth maybe." I laugh too, and as the morning moves on, I'm increasingly aware of how comfortable I am. I don't want this to ever end, which is weird given how often cry because of how horrible my life can be. But now it feels like something's changed. I'm not entirely sure what it is- all I can hope is that it doesn't go back to normal.

------

It's no coincidence that some of Tristan's favourite books are also some of my favourite books 😉  Please vote and comment if you enjoyed it!

My playlist for this is a bit longer now, has anyone got any suggestions for it?