Episode: Stay Out of the Basement

Mabel contacts Pacifica a few days after the showdown against the Department

Mabel contacts Pacifica a few days after the showdown against the Department. She tells her that Dipper has been acting very strangely and asks for help. Pacifica agrees, since he has been acting very off at school lately. That evening, Stanford leaves town to go attend to some business, and Mabel lets Pacifica in. As the girls search the manor for Dipper, there's a power outage, and the locked door to the basement that Ford had always forbid anyone to open bursts open, and a bunch of mutated creatures are unleased in the manor.

Pacifica and Mabel fight their way through the monsters to Dipper in Mabel's bedroom, but discover that he isn't Dipper at all. He's a shapeshifter who Ford ordered to take Dipper's place. The shapeshifter attempts to kill Mabel, but the girls manage to destroy him. But now the question stands: where's the real Dipper?

The two realize that the monsters came from the locked basement door and go down there, discovering a huge underground lab where Ford has been conducting unspeakable experiments on the creatures. They find a very feverish Dipper locked in a holding cell, but when they let him out, he attacks Pacifica, blaming her for everything that has happened to him.

The more Dipper yells, the more the girls realize that this is more than the angry, hurt ramblings of someone who has been betrayed and traumatized- he's talking about events that never happen and grossly misinterprets events that did. Pacifica tries to calm him back, but when he starts using his magic against her, she's forced to fight back. She knocks him out, and the girls quickly gather together Mabel and Dipper's stuff and takes it and Dipper to the Bed and Breakfast. Because the twins clearly can't stay at the manor anymore. Late at night, Dipper wakes up and starts up a conversation with Pacifica, who has been standing watch in his room. He opens up to her about his childhood, but he's still very unwell, and neither of them can figure out which parts are true and which parts are not. Dipper breaks down into sobs as Pacifica looks on, helpless and with no clue what to do.