two - we'll see

chapter ii.
(   pre-iron man   )

their big success  is now their
biggest failure.   their golden
child has been dethroned. their
reputation is now in   ruin.
bad things to such good people ─── manchester orchestra

bad things to such good people  ───  manchester orchestra

new york presybterian
1998
(   lisa's point of view   )

As I laid in the hospital room, I floated in and out of consciousness. When I was conscious, I could hear the beeping of the heart monitor beside me. When I was unconscious, I could hear screaming and crying that sounded a lot like it belonged to me. In one of my earliest brief minutes of consciousness, I realized that my little body could hardly move. Everything ached. Everything stung. Everything burned. I cried sometimes. It hurt so badly that it seemed almost impossible not to. Sometimes I would try to yell for someone to help me, to save me from the pain. Hushed voices tried to calm me, but they were all unfamiliar and frightening. My mind felt heavy and the world seemed far away. It seemed to be an eternity before I finally heard voices that weren't directed at me.

"You've been here for a few days now," a careful female voice spoke and I wondered if the voice was referring about me when she said, "If you don't mind my asking, what are you all thinking at this time?"

"Oh my, well, she-she's," an older, pretty, and more feminine voice couldn't finish.

"I understand," the careful lady went on, "This is one of the worst cases of abuse I have seen in my career."

Who were these people?

There was a painful silence.

"Where did you say you found her again?" a foreign older male voice asked, distantly.

"The child was found at the bottom of a dumpster."

There was a sharp intake of air.

"Sweetheart? Anthony?" the older, pretty voice questioned, worriedly, "Do you need to sit down?"

"No, I-I'm fine," a new, much younger male voice weakly dismissed.

Th careful lady paused before spewing, "The average two year old child should weigh around 26.5 pounds, while this child weighs about fifteen. She is malnourished and seems to have been for a long time. The child's body is very much covered in contusions, as well as cuts and gashes,"

The pretty voice made a small sound of a horror, but the two men were absolutely silent.

The careful one slowly continued, "Her back and stomach have been subjected to the most care because of that. The child has also sustained multiple contusions to the neck, suggesting attempted," she stopped suddenly and, almost as if I needed a reminder, I suddenly became aware of the pain in my throat.