twelve - mark II

chapter xii.
( iron man )

i'm a pretty girl
up in a pretty world
but no, i won't sit
still,   look   pretty
sit still, look pretty ─── daya

i'm    a    pretty   girlup in a pretty worldbut  no,  i  won't  sit still,     look    prettysit still, look pretty ─── daya

malibu, california
may 4, 2010

"I'd like to open a new project file, index as Mark II."

I click on the image of Dad's old suit, Mark I, on the computer screen and drag it over to the hologram table.

Jarvis asks, "Shall I store this on the Stark Industries Central Database?"

Dad stands and follows me over, "Actually, I don't know who to trust right now. 'Til further notice, why don't we just keep everything on our private server?"

As I study the bulky suit, I say, "When you said on the DL, you meant it."

"I don't want this winding up in the wrong hands," Dad tells me distractedly, "Maybe in mine, it can actually do some good."

Hours and probably days pass as we work down in the workshop, just like old times

Hours and probably days pass as we work down in the workshop, just like old times. Together, we finish mapping out and designing a much sleeker and stealthier suit. That's when the real work of actually making it begins. The boots of the suit come first, having to ensure that each piece, part, and wire are exactly fitted in order for it not to shift out of place.

"Next. Up. Not in the boot, Dummy. Right here. You got me? Stay put. Nice," Dad keeps giving the robot instructions as he works, "You're of no benefit at all. Move down to the toe. I got this."

I glance up from the boot I'm working on and smirk at the sight. Dad continues to scold the robot as it literally does everything incorrectly. I remember how I was the one who actually gave the robot his name.

"So what do you think, Daddy? Think this will help me win the science contest?" I asked, awkwardly shifting the heavy thing onto my hip.

He inspected it, giving it his full attention, "I definitely think so. Here, let's try it out. Put it over there," he pointed to the center of the room.