eleven - lies on both sides

chapter xi.
( iron man )

you were on the other side,
like always   wondering
what   to do with life

what kind of man
loves   like   this?
what kind of man ─── florence + the machine

what      kind        of      manloves            like           this?what kind of man ─── florence + the machine

malibu, california
may 3, 2010

Times passes. The sky gets dimmer and I know I should probably get back. The only problem is that I don't know where back is. I think my phone is somewhere back in an Afghani desert and I definitely don't have any money on me. So, realistically, I'm screwed. But, not wanting to deal with that specific problem at the moment, I push myself off the ground and begin wandering the street. After cleaning up all of the garbage I kicked everywhere, I put the trash can back in its original place. I wave an apology to whoever may be watching before I slide my hands into my pockets and begin my trek.

Eventually, I end up at some main road where I hail a taxi. When I tell the driver the address, he's astounded and goes on a rant about how horrible my experience must have been for the entire ride. To ignore him, I rest my head between my raised knees and gently hum to myself. I probably look insane, but, at this point, I could care less. It's pitch black by the time he pulls up in front of the gate.

"Just wait here. I'll get your money," I mumble as I climb out.

"Are you sure? I could just follow you inside if that'd be easier?" he asks with excitement, wanting nothing more than to see the inside of the Stark mansion.

I frown and slam the door closed in response. My feet carry me to the holographic keypad and I type a few things before Jarvis' voice asks for my identification. I give a quiet hello to him, having missed his wonderfully British voice.

"Welcome home, Miss Stark," Jarvis says in his usual pleasant tone, "I do believe you should hurry inside."

A feeling of dread clenches my stomach, "Is he worried?"

"Undoubtedly."

"Is he mad?"

"Unbelievably."

I sigh, "What are the odds that I can make it to New York City before he figures out where I am, Jarvis?"

"Unfortunately low, Miss Stark."

"Hm," I sigh, "Well, please open the gate then."

"Of course."

The gates slowly swing open and I motion for the taxi driver to stay put as I walk through them. I wonder if I just act super nonchalant and casual, maybe he won't freak out. Maybe he'll just see that I'm fine enough to be mellow so he'll leave me alone. It's a strategy, not necessarily a good one, but it's all that I have right now. I push open the front door and step into the cool house. The familiar smell of home hits me and I can't fight the small smile that comes onto my face. I glance around, cautiously, and find that he's nowhere in sight. I let out a relieved breath and start to jog through the living room so I can make it to the staircase before I'm spotted.