Chapter 29

Chapter 29
--------------

There was silence on the line as everyone in the room looked at the phone waiting for the beta to react, they only heard silence.

"Beta Ted?" Nick asked.

After a moment of silence the beta's voice rumbled through the phone, his fury unmasked.

"What are you trying to play at Nick?" He said, deliberately ignoring the alpha title as an insult. "We are coming for you!" he vowed.

"Yes, yes" Nick waved him off "but before you vow vengeance and blood and all those interesting things don't you want to talk to Serena?" He asked.

Further silence.

Nick looked at Serena and indicated at the phone asking her to speak. He was sure the beta would not believe him.

Serena stepped forward unsure "T-ed" she said "It's me Reena" that was his name for her.

A deep breath of disbelief across the line.

"Reena? Is that really you?" the shock and surprise evident in his voice.

"Yes, Ted it is me." She reassured.

"What are you doing there?!" He asked.

"I was captured..."She said and was interrupted by a fierce growl.

"Alpha Nick, you better give her back to me, before you regret it." Ted threatened.

"Are you in a position to threaten me, beta?" Nick calmly asked.

"What do you want?" Ted spat in venom "What do you want in exchange for her?" he demanded.

"Nothing" Nick said "Because I am not holding her hostage, she is free to go. You can ask her if you don't believe me." Nick said.

"What? What is this?!!" Ted asked confused.

"I found my mate Ted, Nick was speaking the truth. I did find my mate" Serena added to ease his confusion.

"Who is he?" Ted asked calmly. He was anything but calm on the inside.

Serena's eyes flicked to Alex's face for a moment before she answered.

"His name is Alex, he is a Roma wolf" She told him.

"Alex" Ted breathed shocked "As in Alexander Knowles? One of the twins? Roma's lapdog?" he said. He was too surprised to make it sound insulting.

"Yes" she simply responded. What was there to say?

"Reena...we will find a way, we can work...." Ted started saying, he did not care they had audience.

"Ted, there is no going back from this" Serena told firmly.

Ted was taken aback "Why? Why are you doing this?" He asked confused "Do you know what they did to your grandfather? What they did to Patrick's pack?" He demanded from her, furious.

"Yes" she responded calmly "I am doing what I think is best for this pack, to ensure its survival, above all grandfather would have wanted that. His pack, his legacy to live" She told him.

"I have seen the Roma wolves Ted, we will not win against them and I don't want our pack to die" Serena told him.

Ted was silent for a moment. "I need time, I will call you back" he said with no one in particular and just hung up.

Everyone looked at Serena confused.

"He will talk to the key people in the pack before he makes any decision, he will call back. There is nothing we can do but wait." She addressed the room answering their unasked question and with that she walked out of the room as well. She needed some time for herself as well.