Chapter 33

Sorry for disappearing on you folks! I am back now and on with the story...

Chapter 33
--------------

Roma stared in to the fire of the fireplace lost in her thoughts. Alex sat across her his shoulders hunched an epitome of defeat. Looking equally absorbed in his thoughts.

"They are coming for us Alex" Roma whispered, her eyes not wavering from the fire, the fire reflected and danced on her eyes. A much potent fire raged within.

Alex did not comment, nor did he move.

"They want us next. They have taken so much from us and still not satisfied, they want it all" She said with venom in her voice.

Alex remained still.

"What do we do? Shall we lie down and expose our belly and neck so they can feast on us or do we show them what they seem to have forgotten. The bite of Roma."

Alex's eyes finally moved on to her.

"They want me to run, they want me to go back to Roma! They murdered Sebastian in cold blood and I run?" She spat.

She paused in silence.

"What we do here defines us, I refuse to be a coward." She added.

"It would be prudent" Alex whispered, resigned.

"We are outnumbered." He added.

"And? That has stopped us before?" Roma asked.

"I refuse to leave" She reaffirmed "I will not abandon this pack that I grew up with to be slaughtered."

"And you might just end up being slaughtered with them" Alex added, dispassionately.

She shrugged "So be it." She stated with finality "but if I am to die today, I will go down taking them...I will go down with a bang and not a whimper. I will not dishonor Roma, Sebastian...No, I will raise hell and if I am to be consumed in it so be it."

Alex's eyes widened, this was a side of her he had never seen, this was not the Evelyn he knew, this was someone put in her place by fate and destiny twisting her soul. The fire in her eyes...

But looking at her he suddenly felt his blood quickening, the cloak of defeat and misery started to shrink away from around him, a spark ignited.

Yes, they would make a stand...a final stand.

"What do you want me to do?" he asked her.

She gave a smile, a smile chilling to the bone "Death" she responded in a single word, conveying her meaning. "The American Avionics weaponry at our disposal use them to match the enemy number, let's take ten of them for every one of ours going down. Let's ensure that after this fight they can never raise and army, they might win in the end but let's make it as expensive as possible." She paused and added "I remember when we sought your help with the Rogues, the numbers were not on our side, but you delivered a victory a lot of us did not think was possible...so let's do it again, I want to make a last stand Alex and I want your help to make it count."

Alex stood up invigorated "You will not be disappointed" and with that marched out of the house with a singular objective in mind.

***

Nick came in after a while and saw Roma on the phone her expression troubled.

"Anything wrong?" he asked as if a few thousand wolves on their way for their blood did not matter.

"I am unable to reach Adrian. I called the palace and none of the staff are able to locate him" she said worried more to herself than directed at Nick "it is most unusual" She whispered in thought and looked at Nick. "Never mind that, I left a message so he will call me back what is the status?" she asked.