ONE

I submitted my report to my boss, I've been working for this company for almost three years. That's why. All my life working, I never had a chance to be promoted, so I worked really hard for it. Looking at my co-employees, they're so busy working.

Luckily, I have Emily, my best friend, with me. She also works here. Emily had been my best friend since we were in high school. I met tons of people in my life, but for some reason I got stuck with her. We went to same high school and college, but that was about all we had in common. I was brown-haired and bright brown eyed, not really a typical Asian, while she had the darkest, shiniest hair I'd ever seen and eyes so brown they were almost black. While I was shy and eager to please, Emily was more confident, her tone, her personality all measured.

“Are you done with your report? Can I see” Emily asked me.

I nodded, reaching it to get it for her. Back when we were high school students, we always had fights but then we end up being best friends. No matter what the thing is, we always find a way to resolve our misunderstandings.

“Elisse, are you free later?”

“Yeah, why do you ask?” I said.

“Can you go with me?”

“Where?”

“At National University."

“Um...” I hesitate.

She raised her eyebrow.

“Fine, it’s not night yet. Let's go.”

Every please of her, I can't say no, I don't know why but I like it anyway. Our high school life went well, for us best friends, but not with my first love.

Adam, his name. He is also our classmate in high school. I had a crush on him since 9th grade but I kept it secret but Emily found out. I even made a fake crush so that they wouldn’t know it. Not to mention, he is intelligent, charming and very gentleman. I fell deeper into him when we were in 12th grade. All the informations I possessed about Adam Méndez I'd gotten from a distance. Like that he was tall and muscular, with broad shoulders and thick biceps. Because he is athletic. And he always wore rubber shoes matching with his V-neck shirt that made him seem hot. His hair is dark and cut short, spiking at the top and his eyes were dark and intense, and I'd never seen him without his phone which he holds in and out of the class. And while we’re getting to know each other I knew him more.

He sit beside me every English class. I tend to be nervous but he never let it. He always do serious stuffs like reading books, writing anything, yeah anything because I don't know it, and listening to music. This is the only time we have time together.

One day, while we're in English class, Adam and I were eating biscuits then he cracked a joke. “Hey!”

“What it is?” I asked.

“You know Fita right?”

“Yeah, this biscuit.” I pointed the biscuit I'm holding.

“No! Not that! The guy in the Hunger Games Movie, Peeta Mellarck!” Then he laughed.

I just found myself laughing out loud. We both laugh hard. I don't know why but it's funny though it's corny. Suddenly I heard a loud bang! Our English teacher looked at us expectantly. I think she's mad because we're noisy.

“Mr. Méndez and Ms. Tamara meet me at detention at 3'o clock in the afternoon.” Ms. M said.

I felt a little nervous because it's my first time to be in detention. At least I'm with Adam. I got first to the detention cell, there is Ms. M. I sat at the corner desk waiting for Adam and others too. I asked Ms. M if there are other detentions and she answered me “No, just the two of you Mr. Méndez.”