TWO

“Elisse!”

“Why?” I asked.

“You're not answering me. I keep talking here but I'm like invisible to you.”

“I'm so sorry Emily.” I'm thinking the past again.

“What is on your mind? Do you have a problem?”

“No, I don't have, I was just reminiscing back when we're high school students.”

“Oh, I missed that. And our first love.”

“I don't have time for that. Come on, let's go back to work.” I told her.

“You're so kill joy!”

I'm back to reality again. This sucks. For three years all I can see is dying people just to have their minimum wage. I want to break free. I want a break. Lately, I've been wanting to quit this job. Maybe I should talk to Mr. Winterpock. I was aware, during all of this, that with my last work, I hadn't exactly been hardworking with it.

“What? You looked stressed,” He said, signing papers in his desk. “Something wrong?”

“No, not really,” I said, playing with my hands. “But lately I've been wanting to leave.”

“Oh! That.” He stopped, “Why?”

“I guess this place is not for me.”

“You know, all you need is a vacation,” He looked at me and smiled, “I'll give you a one week leave.”

Think Elisse. I thought.

“Ms. Tamara, you are the one of the best employees here, so why leave?”

“Okay. I made up my mind.” I said.

“Are you sure about it?”

“I'm accepting your offer, a week of vacation.” I smiled at him.

“If that's what you want.”

“Thank you Mr. Winterpock.”

Of course, I knew that Mr. Winterpock will allow me to leave. I'm relieved. Now I can go wherever I want but, for only one week. I have to talk first to Emily. I know that she don't want me to leave.

“Is this final?” she said, “When will you come back?”

"Don't worry, it's only for a week. I'm not going to leave you behind, you know that. I will contact you. You know that you're my best friend!” I said.

She nodded. It's hard for but I have to go, I need a break, I need time for myself. I thought. “Don't over-react, I'll be back soon. See you, I guess.” I smiled.

“Why do you have to do this? Why are you so...” she didn't continue what she says.

I shut myself.

Goodbye isn't bad, it’s a new beginning. I thought. I should meet new friends! But first, I have to relax. I need fresh air!

The day after, I booked a plane ticket to a beach. I'm so excited! A&P Beach Resort here I come!

“Excuse me.”

“Yes Miss?” The stewardess said.

“Can I have a drink?”

“Please wait a moment.”

After a few minutes the stewardess came back with a lot of drinks. There's red and white wine, all variety of teas and coffees, even fruit shakes. She's good.