• - 17 - •

It had become rare when Alex would be in her penthouse, but in those rare moments it was when she needed the quietness the most, the silence she welcomed when she read through her books, but lately, the silence has never been so loud as she struggled to find answers about the Hollow in her books, all her books were scattered around her on the floor, and she was in the centre of it all.

The loud knock on her penthouse door didn't even startle her or interrupt her, instead, she used telekineses the open it and glanced at the intruder, Kol stood on the other side with his hand still raised, ready to knock again.

"What do you want, Kol?" Alex mutters while turning her attention back to the book in her hands, Kol steps into her penthouse, staring at the books surrounding her on the floor, he carefully steps over and around some books to reach her.

"When last did you have a proper night rest?" Kol asks, Alex slowly looks up at him, he could already tell that she hadn't slept much.

"Does it matter?" Alex says. "I'm trying to find a way to destroy the hollow." She brings her hand to her face, and rubs some sleep from her eye.

"Right, about that." Kol begins, he scratches the back of his head in distress.

"She must die, Kol," Alex says as she slams the book in her hand shut, causing Kol to visibly flinch.

"But you can't kill her." Kol quickly says, Alex stood from the ground almost as fast as a lightning bolt would strike through the sky.

"And why the hell not, Kol?" Alex asks. "She has done nothing but cause trouble." Alex took a step towards him, Kol could sense the danger of the situation.

"She brought Davina back," Kol says, Alex stops for a second.

"So, just because she brought your little leading lady back from the dead, you want to keep her alive?" Alex asks. "Why? Or are you that pathetic?" Alex could see the anger flash through his eyes, his hands formed a fist.

"THEY ARE LINKED!" Kol screams, Alex's jaw clenched in anger as she gave him a tight-lipped smile.

"Then why are you tell me that? Go ask Freya, she's the witch, and I'm busy." Alex says, her tone sounding calm, which would have scared Kol if he wasn't so angry.

"Because I just wanted to come and ask that you not harm her," Kol says. "Yet."

"I'll try my absolute best," Alex says, Kol could hear the sarcasm in her voice, which angered him more, he was trying to find a way to keep Davina alive, he was trying to make a plan to rescue Davina from the Hollow's clutches before he would let his family and Alex destroy the damned thing.

"You know what, at least she brought Davina back, unlike you," Kol says. "What were you doing when we were destroying the ancestral world? You couldn't bring her back, and then when she finally became a spirit again, you still didn't bring her back!" Alex squints her eyes as her glare hardens, she hadn't had much sleep, and he was throwing accusations around without knowing the situation or the consequences.

"AND I TOLD YOU THAT SHE WAS BEING HIDDEN FROM ME!" Alex shouts. "And I realize that I could have brought her back when Vincent linked her to the world, bringing the ancestral world back, but news flash, there are consequences, and the hollow is still in the picture." Her body felt like it was on fire as heat spread over her body, she was angry and her demon was trying to take control.

"But you still could have brought her back!" Kol says. "NOW SHE'S LINKED TO THAT BLOODY DEVIL!" Alex could feel her hands itching to engulf with fire. "This could have been so much different if you had just revived her the second you knew she was back!" He was blaming her, her hands lit up with holy fire as she felt the demon claw at her mind to take control.

"Get out," Alex says, her voice sounding rough as she felt herself losing control. "GET THE HELL OUT!" Her eyes shift between the bright blue and her normal dark brown, claws replaced her nails, Kol suddenly realized what was happening.

"Alex," Kol says calmly, he could see her visibly panting. "Calm down, darling." He had hit a nerve and now he either needed to fix it or run before it was too late. "It's taking control, isn't it? You have to fight, Alex, you need to fight it!" Alex's eyes fall to the ground.

"Get. out." Alex demands. "Now, before I hurt you!" Kol was about to take a step towards her when a low hiss came from her mouth, giving him his one and only warning.

"Fight it, you need to fight it," Kol says before taking Alex's advice and left, Alex fell to her knees as a layer of sweat broke out on her skin, her teeth grits against each other in anger and agony.

•••

"No, Nik, I need a little time," Kol begs, fear not only in his voice but in his eyes. "I just need to know she's alive, please, grant me this small mercy." Klaus slammed him up against a wall, his hand wrapped around his neck.

"Mercy is a privilege reserved for family," Klaus says. "Your status has been revoked."

Alex's eyes shoot open as she gasps for air, after having a long battle to keep control she had passed out, but the image of Kol and Klaus fighting awoke her, Alex realized the way she had treated him was unfair, seeing as he only wanted to keep Davina safe from the Hollow, she now needed to rescue him, she stood from the ground before teleporting herself into the abattoir, only to see Klaus on top of Kol about to stab him with the dagger.

"Stop it!" Alex says as she grabs the back of Klaus's jacket, she pulls him off from Kol and takes the dagger from his grasp, Kol stood from the ground, barely glancing at Alex before speeding out of the abattoir.

"NO!" Klaus growls before speeding towards Alex, he was blinded with anger as he felt betrayed by not only Kol but Alex as well, he slams her against the wall, knocking the wind out of her, he takes the dagger from her hands as his other hand wrap around her neck to choke her. "How dare you." Alex grabs his forearm to try and pry his hand away from her neck. "How dare you allow him to leave, he betrayed my family!"

"You... were... about... to... dagger him." Alex chokes out, debating if she should use her powers to push him off her or let him have his tantrum.

"BECAUSE HE DESERVED IT!" Klaus shouts, in pure anger, he shoves the dagger into her stomach, her lips part in pain, praying to not make a sound, she didn't want to alarm Hope, who was in the next room.

"You..." Alex whispers as she felt her body trying to heal her while the dagger was still inside her. "You would've done the same if she brought Camille back." Klaus applied more pressure to her throat. "You... almost... killed...  your... own... brother." Her hand wraps around his forearm as his grip tightens around her neck, he was trying to crush her throat. "Family... member, what..." Her lungs were screaming for air even though she didn't need it, she was struggling to form words. "Will... you... do... to... me?" Klaus pulled his hand away from her throat while removing the dagger from her stomach as well, her legs give out underneath her, and she fell to the ground, her hand instinctively went towards her stomach while her other hand went to her neck, she could hear a voice calling her name, but it sounded miles away.

"Alex," Klaus says, he was crouched next to her on the ground. "Alex?" He rolls her onto her back before lifting her upper body. "Alex?" His voice became clearer as her mind cleared.

"Let me go," Alex mumbles as the wound on her stomach fully healed.

"I'm so sorry, Alex." Klaus begins. "I- I don't know w-"

"No," Alex whispers. "This is what you do, this is what you do to protect your family, and I'm not part of your family, I'm never going to be fully part of this family." Before Klaus could respond, Alex disappeared from his arms and appeared back in her own penthouse.