Chapter 1

Malika was seated on a couch munching on a pie when her husband walked into the parlor. She looked up and beamed at him as he salaamed and she answered.

He bent to her height and pecked her, "how are both my babies?" he asked, whilst trying to grab a piece of pie from Malika's plate. She quickly snatched her plate from his hand saying, "we are both fine. But don't you even think of eating my apple pie, that is if you don't want to upset your baby." Malika said, palming her huge tummy which is 9 months old.

Zayd smiled and sat down next to her, taking one of her hand in his and gently started massaging it. "Ok, I won't eat it. After all I don't wanna upset my baby."

"Oh I almost forgot, I have to go to the house now. And I don't want to be late." He pecked her forehead and turned to walk away when she quickly held his hand. "Zayd, would you mind stopping by havila to get me some waffles and ice cream." He smiled and playfully pinched her cheek.

"Achichi kawai." She made a face which made him laugh. "Anything for my queen," he said. "but here is a suggestion why don't we go together and buy whatever you need, then we can go to the family meeting later on." He quickly added. She nodded and stretched out her hand out to him. He held it and pulled her up, joking about how much heavier she's gotten.

Zayd and Malika have been together for three years and just got married last year, it was a love marriage. He is a businessman and she is a fashion designer.

.

Zayd was standing in front of the Faeeiz mansion with one hand in the pocket and Malika in the other. "Are you okay?" He whisper asked. She nodded and pulled him hand saying she needed to sit down now more than anything. They walked into the house to their grandfather's side where the family meeting was been held.

They salaamed and stepped into the parlor. All of Alhaji Adam Faeeiz's children and grandchildren were seated waiting for zayd to start the meeting. He has always been amongst the last people to arrive at a family reunion or anything else.

They greeted his grandparents, his parents, and all the elders seated in the living room, before settling on the carpet beside Mrs Yasmin; his biological grandmother who pulled Malika into a hug, asking about the baby.

His grandfather flashed a smile at him before beginning "Assalamu Alaikum my children and grandchildren," he smiled, "I know you lot of have questions as to why I decided to call this meeting when it's not even the end of the month yet, and I know some of you have things to do so, so I will not take much of your time." He cleared his voice. "The actual reason for this meeting is to inform you that my childhood friend Hisham, is back from Sudan after so many years. I'm sure you know him all because I always talk about our childhood back then."

His children and some of his grandkids including Zayd nodded smiling. He sure speaks highly of Alhaji Hisham.

"I'm sure I have once spoken about the promise we made to each other," he said more like asked in a croaky voice. His first son Alhaji Bello's eyes widened in recognition, and he looked around the room trying to find out what or rather who he had in mind.

Clearing his throat, he continued. "For those of you that do not know about the promise, let me tell you. We made a promise to join the lineage of our families in holy matrimony to promote the friendship of our families whenever we are ready. I owe Haisham a lot in my life, he has helped me more than anyone else back in my youth days. He even bought me my first car." Chuckles rolled around even the room, even though everyone's heart was beating faster than normal. All his male grandchildren were looking at each other trying to gauge who the promise might fall on. Well except for Zayd who cared less about the topic. He turned and smiled at Malika, tightening his hold on her hand.

"Now, since we couldn't join that of our children, we are doing it with our grandkids. I plan to get my grandson married to his granddaughter." He stopped to take a sip of water

Malika's heart hammered in her chest. She was silently praying to Allah for the grandson not to be husband because she hates the fact of having a rival, even her stepmother, they don't get along at all. Her mother always says kishiya tries to take every single thing from you and that is why her mother advises them to always stay away from their stepmom and consider her their enemy.

Zayd rubbed her palm that was already sweaty and assured her with a simple smile.
". . . and the person who would inshallah be getting married to HANAN is non-other than Bello's third son, zayd." Tsoho finally announced. Nobody expected that.

Zayd immediately looked up, eyes wide as a saucer. "What! Tsoho, please don't do this to me, I have a healthy and pregnant wife that would soon put to bed, what else would I need?" He half-shouted. His thoughts were spiraling out of control, his breathing was erratic.

"Zayd, don't be disrespectful." Alhaji Bello said. Zayd looked at him with a pleading face. "Please tsoho reconsider." Zayd pleaded. He looked at his mother who looked away, then turned to his father. "Zayd just accept it, the decision has already been made." His eyes widened at his father's words. "Wh. . . What?"

Malika started crying. She shook her head and sobbed profusely. Suddenly, she felt a sharp pain in her abdomen. "Wayyo," she got up with much effort, and was about to step out of the parlor crying silently when hajiya Yasmin's voice stopped her in tracks.

"Where are you going Malika?" She turned. "I'm just going to the bathroom kaka." She assured trying to walk out of the living room. Almost everyone was watching her with sad eyes, they felt for her.

"Toh, let me help you" Hajiya Yasmin demanded slowly standing up. Zayd almost cried, because his eyes already turned red. He helplessly watched Malika unable to say or do anything. He turned to Tsoho and continued begging him. When he saw no sign of remorse in Tsoho, he kept quite and sat down in a corner.

Tsoho started advising Zayd on marriage and the importance of marriage and how he needs to accept fate.

15 minutes later

A maid ran into the parlor saying, "hajiya Malika's water just broke, and she is in serious pain." She reported gasping for air. Zayd was already on his feet before she even got to the end of the sentence. "What?, Where is she now?"
"She is in hajiya's bedroom"

.

How was the chapter, hope you liked it. Please don't forget to like, comment, and share.

Tsoho- Old man.

Kisses, Fatima🥀