introduction

MOUNT WEATHER

MOUNT WEATHER. NINE YEARS AGO.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"YOU DREAM ABOUT IT SOMETIMES STILL, DON'T YOU?" The young blonde girl whispered, otherwise known as Riley. She was wrapped in a blanket, safe from any harm that could or might come to her. Not that any would. She was safe in Mount Weather. There were guards posted every hour on the hour, and there was no way inside. Not that she'd knew of. But her young, naive mind believed she was being taken care of. Which, she was. If she got sick with what her mother called the "burn marks" she would be sent to the Doctor's to be fixed. She believed that too. But all she knew, something she was absolutely sure of, was that she wanted a taste of air. Fresh air from the outside. She just needed to hear her best friend say it too.

"Of course," the dark haired girl whispered back, otherwise known as Maya. She loved being around Riley, and they both enjoyed talking about the one thing they always dreamed of. Going outside, seeing the grass, feeling the sun beating down. They both learned in science that their bodies couldn't breathe oxygen outside, which is why they had to stay where they're safe, in Mount Weather. But how long could that be for? "Do you think it'll happen?"

Before Riley could answer, the door to Maya's bedroom swung open. Both girls jumped in shock when seeing Maya's father standing there, an annoyed look on his face, but smiling anyways. "Girls," he spoke. "You know it's late. Lights out, time for bed." He hushed his daughter when she protested, giving them a pointed look. "You know the rules, Maya. You can talk more tomorrow. Goodnight," he said, this time more serious.

Finally, Maya caved. She smiled back at her father, waving before pulling her blanket up. "Goodnight, Dad," she replied, pulling the blanket over herself on the bed. He shut the lights off, and the room went dark as he shut the door. Once she was sure he was gone, she leaned over the side of the bed to look where Riley was curled on a cot on the floor of her room. "Do you?" She repeated in a whisper, the curiosity getting the better of her, leaving her to wonder what her best friend really thought.

Peeking one eye open, Riley let out a short and quiet stifled giggle. "Yeah," she replied back softly. "And when I'm a Doctor, I'll make it happen."