xxvii. too far gone

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

RILEY USED THE SLEEVE OF HER JACKET TO WIPE AT THE BLOOD TRICKLING OUT OF THE CORNER OF HER MOUTH, WINCING WHEN HER HAND BRUSHED ACROSS THE BRUISE FORMING. Monty hadn't said anything, not since the two piled back in the rover with the magnet they needed to help Raven. She hadn't known what to say either. Was she supposed to thank him for killing his mother, or lie by telling him everything was okay when it wasn't? He was, with good reason, upset. She could see the way he clutched the wheel tightly and stared straight forward with a blank expression, showing how broken he really was.

"Monty.." Riley said softly, trailing off, but needing to hear his voice.

"That wasn't her." Monty cutting her off surprised Riley, but she kept quiet, letting him vent. "It was ALIE. My mom was already gone." Riley shook her head, showing she agreed with him. As far as they knew, the chip stole people's memories and made them into killing machines that felt nothing. She just didn't know if Monty was trying to convince her or himself.

"It wasn't her," Monty repeated, quiet, but his voice cracking. "It wasn't her."

Biting at her lower lip, Riley nodded. "I know, Monty," she whispered. She didn't know what else to say. This wasn't anything like watching her people, her best friend, and her family die. Monty killed his own mother, and now, he's lost both of his parents; one of which to save her life. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Still seeming to be in shock, Monty tightened his grip on the wheel and froze in place but Riley didn't miss the single tear streaming down his cheek. "It wasn't her," he repeated. "She was already gone."

-x-

It was quiet the rest of the way, and Riley didn't like it. She knew Monty needed his space, and could only watch sadly as he raced forward far away from her when they came to a stop back at Niylah's post. She stepped out of the rover, meeting Bellamy and Jasper who looked after Monty worriedly.

"What happened out there?" Bellamy asked, looking from Monty to Riley, lost upon seeing the male's upset figure and the blood and bruises on Riley's face.

Riley shut the door of the rover, forcing herself to look at him. She shook her head slowly, feeling tears well up for the first time. "Monty's mom showed up and he  had to, um.." She trailed off, folding her hands together in front of her, becoming wretched. She couldn't spit the words out, but she didn't have to. By the look of their faces, they knew. Jasper, by far, came off as the most shocked.

Monty wasn't a killer. Without a doubt, Riley knew it. He was soft, kind, with a heart of gold that felt bad for killing their food. But Monty was also selfless, and had an undying loyalty to the people he cared about. He's saved her life twice now, and one of the times had traumatized him. All Riley wanted to do was fix it, go back and kill Hannah Green so Monty would hate her instead of himself.