iii. home

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

SOMEHOW. JASPER WAS ABLE TO CONVINCE THE FORTY-EIGHT TO VOLUNTEER FOR GIVING BLOOD. Riley had to act like she was okay with helping Dr. Tsing take blood. While that was happening, her and Maya helped the four plan an escape while the blonde girl who had escaped planned a way to sneak in. While they searched an office, her and Maya decontaminated the surveillance room so they wouldn't be caught.

Usually decontamination required actual movement, but they instead chose to strip themselves of their contamination suits and sit in the spinning chairs; watching the computer screens. No one would find out if the pairs were as careful as they thought they were.

Riley pointed to the main one. "They got in," she noted aloud, seeing the group that consisted of Jasper, Miller, Monty, and Harper enter the office. "How long do you think it'll take?" She asked, seeing they were out of view.

"Hopefully as long as it normally takes decontamination," Maya responded, setting her chin on the palm of her hand. It was silent, before Maya spoke up again to her best friend. "Riley, do you remember when we were kids, and you said you'd be the Doctor that would bring us outside?" She asked. Without a word, Riley nodded. She remembered, but didn't see what the other was trying to say. "Do you still, like.. Stick by that?" She asked hesitantly.

A long pause hung in the air. Riley's fingers tapped against the table top as she pursed her lips together tightly before speaking. "Maya, how long have we been friends?" She questioned, but didn't give her a chance to answer. "Since we were in diapers." It was true. Her birth mother was best friends with Maya's, it only made sense for them to be too. "And do you think I could live with myself if I was working with Dr. Tsing in experimenting on them?"

"No," Maya answered almost immediately. "That's why you're helping." She stretched out her arm, her hand holding Riley's shoulder in comfort. "You've been through so much, yet you have such a big heart. I only asked, because, I want you to know what can happen if we help them escape."

Riley reached up, her hand over Maya's, softening up against the touch. "I know," she replied gently. "I don't care. I'll go against Dr. Tsing if I have to, because I know what her and Cage would do to get the blood they need." Even though they already had, with snatching out the outsiders and taking their blood, Riley knew they would go past that to the extreme.

Little did Riley know, she was right.

-x-

Ripped from her bed, Cage had one tight arm on Riley's arm and was dragging her down a hall she hasn't seen before. "Let me go!" She shouted, furious, and struggling to pull away. She was hoping someone would hear and help her, but her voice only echoed off the walls and told her she was alone. He instead ignored her and only tightened his grip, forcing Riley to follow him. "What the hell do you want?! Where are you taking me?!" She demanded to know.

Not receiving an answer still, Riley was dragged in a room. She froze in place, forgetting the bruising grip on her arm. The girl who had helped the other boys earlier, Harper, was strapped down and trembling with fear. Riley could see why; from all the doctor tools near Dr. Tsing. She should have been smarter. They weren't going to listen to Dante's strict rules, they were selfish to the core and the blood wasn't going to satisfy them enough. "You can't do this," Riley said sharply, trying to stand her ground. "Doctor, you have their blood - "

"It isn't enough," Dr. Tsing replied without meeting Riley's eyes. "Cage, strap her down." Cage complied immediately, dragging Riley to a hospital chair to the corner of the room. Firmly, it was only seconds before both her wrists and both her ankles were strapped tightly down.

No matter how much Riley struggled against Cage, he didn't stop until the leather was digging into her skin. She was cuffed, and couldn't move. "Dr. Tsing, this isn't right," she tried begging instead. "Please."

Dr. Tsing wasn't listening. Riley watched in silence as she grabbed a scalpel. "Don't worry," she told the frightened young girl on the table. "This won't hurt." Riley knew she was lying, but it would do nothing to speak that aloud. It wouldn't help. "The hip has the largest marrow pocket. We'll begin the aspiration there - " She spoke as she began slicing into Harper's skin, making the girl wince in pain.

"I don't need to know the details," Cage said, talking over her and interrupting her. Riley watched as he looked away, seeming to feel guilty, but she didn't feel any sorrow for him. He was no better, not if he was giving her the okay. "Just do it."

"I - I just want to go home," Harper whimpered. Riley couldn't see her face, but any of them could tell she was in tears, so full of fear. Her heart was sinking, she was powerless to do anything.

Cage turned around, and crouched down, so he could face Harper's face since she was flipped onto her stomach. "I know," he told her, somehow sounding so calm. "So do we."

Riley watched in horror as Dr. Tsing picked up a longer tool, one that she knew would dig into Harper's bone marrow. "No," she breathed out, short and full of emotion.

"Please.." Harper whimpered again. But it did no good. Dr. Tsing dug the end of the tool into the wound she made, and pressed the button to send it whirling a hole. An ear piercing scream filled the room, making Riley shut her eyes tightly, desperately trying to block it out as a choked sob made its way out of her mouth.

There was no way out of this, and Riley wasn't even sure why they wanted her too still. It couldn't possibly be worse than forcing herself to sit and listen to them torture someone else or their own selfish needs.