02. on the road again

CHAPTER 2: ON THE ROAD AGAIN

Friday, May 26th 2017 - Salem, Oregon

Nothing seems familiar and actually this is awesome. I love discovering things I have never seen before. But our first destination is Medford and I have been to Medford before and I have not seen a sign saying Medford in nearly three hours.

I'm pretty sure that we are lost and again Harry is to blame for this. He is not very good in not getting lost so the idea of letting him show us the way instead of using a navigation system was rubbish anyway.

"Sam, I'm not sure that this is the right way," I tell him and pick up my phone, ready to call Harry, "Look, it says Portland."

"Portland? No way!" Sam says and leans forward to get a glimpse on the sign, "No surprise, we've been driving for more than five hours already. It usually takes someone two to three hours to get to Medford."

"Somebody should tell Harry." Dylan interrupts and I hold up my phone to show that I'm already doing it. I find his name in my contact list and press the green button. Only second later someone picks his phone up.

"Estelle? Hi!" Jessica laughs into the phone, "Stop, Harry, I'm talk—Harry! I'm sorry, Estelle, I just—Stop! Babe, no, I—You need to turn left and—Harry!"

"Well, now I know why we are lost."

"We are not lost."

"You do realize that we've been driving for almost six hours?" I ask her and shake my head but with a grin on my face, "When was the last time you looked at a sign?"

"Oh my God, we are close to Portland!" Jessica exclaims and I hear Harry saying a sharp, "What?" and I start to laugh.

It is the first day of our road trip and it is already a disaster, thanks to Harry and Jessica. But I take it with humor nevertheless, just like the other two guys in this car, except for Beth. She is a bit pissed that we have not arrived in Medford yet.

Our car is quiet, everyone is listening to what I'm saying and tries to understand what Jessica is telling me through the phone. I could see Sam rolling his eyes from the ankle of my eye when Jessica and Harry played around.

"Let's find a gas station and we talk there." I suggest and Jessica agrees.

I let out a loud sigh after I hung up and press my head against the soft head rest. Harry should never try to lead a way again. About half an hour later we finally found a gas station and pull our cars in.

Since Beth fell asleep in the back of the car and Dylan needs to pee, only Sam and I approach Harry and Jessica. As soon as they get out of the car Jessica runs around the car and presses herself against Harry's side, intertwining their hands with each other.

Jessica has been my best friend for fourteen year already and I have never, I repeat never, seen her so in love. Harry brings out the best in her and I could not be any happier that she has someone like Harry after all the other guys who broke her heart.

"I'm sorry." Harry says before Sam or I can speak.

"Our first destination was Medford, not Portland!" Sam accuses him and Harry looks down, ashamed, "How could you not realize that we were driving in the wrong direction? I mean there is a huge difference between a three hour drive and a six hour drive!"

"I didn't plan this." Harry tries defend himself but Sam just chuckles sarcastically.

"Of course not but still. Maybe someone else than Jess should come with you since she is distracting you a bit too much," Sam tells him and now Jessica feels offended as well, "Do you have a problem with going with Harry, Estelle?"