34. date

CHAPTER 34: DATE        

                           Wednesday, June 14th 2017 - Eugene, Oregon

                   "We're here, by the way." Harry says and puts on the handbrake. I look out of the window and try to recognize where we are. It's a small walk away from the Fern Ridge Lake.

  "Need to pee again, huh?" I ask him with a grin as we get out of the car. I catch Harry how he rolls his eyes before he walks behind the car to open the trunk. He comes back with a bag on his shoulder. However, he doesn't bother to answer my unspoken question that I expressed with a raise of my eyebrow.

 In silence we walk down the little hill to get close to the water. Harry drops the bag to open it and take out a blanket. He puts the blanket down after stretching it across the sand so we can sit down on it. The sand is somewhat cold.

  "So what are we doing here? Why are you taking me here?" I ask and Harry takes a few more things out of the bag.

  "Holds quite a few memories, doesn't it?" He chuckles and shortly glances at me before turning back to his bag.

 I turn my head to look behind us where the little forest it. A year ago I stumbled upon Harry after sawing someone moving around in the shadows. That was the day we first met and I introduced him to my friends. After that I kept dragging him with me and Jess quickly called dibs. I didn't really mind, though. I had Sam and I was just very happy for Jess. We came here often last summer. Spent the nights together just laughing, listening to music, eating s'mores before we all went back home.

  "Yeah." I mumble.

 Finally, Harry turns around to me with two white plastic cups in his hand. I peek beside him and see a bottle of my favourite wine. It's an expensive one, a wine I'm too avaricious to spend money on. Once Harry brought a bottle with him to Jess' birthday party and it was exactly this wine which he stole from his parents and it was delicious. But now he brought it with him for us on this...date?

  "Harry Styles." I say reproachfully but I take the plastic cup he is offering me.

  "What?" He grins.

  "Is this a date? Are you seriously taking me out on a date?" I call him out giggling.

  "A date?" Harry asks and fakes his indignation before he chuckles, "Never."

  "What are you doing? Are you trying to make me fall for you?" I ask with a chuckle. Harry looks down into his cup as he smiles.

  "Uh..." Harry starts but stops before he could even say a proper word.

  "What? Is it true?" I giggle, a slight hint of surprise in my voice.

  "Well, does...would it be possible...Is it working?" Harry stammers and now I look down, staring at his nervous fingers.

  "Maybe." I answer with a little smile on my lips.

  "Now I'm as wise as before." Harry chuckles but I can tell he isn't satisfied at all with my answer. He wants a clear yes or no but I can't give him that if I don't even know it myself yet.

 Am I falling for him? Is this what falling for someone feels like? All these years I tried to avoid this whole love thing and I did a pretty good job at it. I was ready to stop avoiding it for Sam but nothing ever happened. And now Harry is supposed to change that all, turn everything upside down, tear my walls down that I built so securely? The one guy I'm not allowed to fall for? I do think about him all the time and he awakes feelings and wishes inside of me I didn't know are possible.