12

Lorelai, Charlotte and Rory were standing in the checkout line in Dooses' as Lorelai flipped through a crossword puzzle book.

"Urgh I hate crossword puzzles! They make me feel stupid." Lorelai groaned.

"Here's a suggestion then. Don't do them." Charlotte joked.

"Oh but if you don't do them, you're not only stupid, you're also a coward." Lorelai pointed out.

"Or you have better things to do with your time?" Rory suggested.

"Do you think people will buy that?" She asked.

"Who?" Charlotte asked.

"If you mean the people who line up on a daily basis and ask you if you do crossword puzzles and then, when you say no, challenge you as to why then yes, I think they will buy it." Rory said dryly.

"I feel like you're both mocking me." Lorelai pouted.

"That's what we're here for." Charlotte grinned.

They got to the front of the checkout line. "Hey Taylor, are you pulling double duty today?" Lorelai asked.

"Oh, I like to fill in behind the register every now and then." He said. "It keeps me in contact with the clientele. Also, it allows me to keep an eye on the 'take a penny' pot here and make sure people aren't pocketing those pennies for their own personal gain but are legitimately using them to make exact change. A certain boyfriend of one of your daughters springs to mind." Taylor said glancing at Charlotte.

"Jess doesn't steal your pennies, Taylor. Just give him a break." Charlotte rolled her eyes.

"Yes well, you can tell him to not even try it because I will be here all day." Taylor said.

"I'll be sure to give him the good news." Charlotte said sarcastically.

"Oh cool! Mom, Charlie, look!" Rory said excitedly pointing to a poster.

"Oh yeah, it's Movie in the Square night again!" Lorelai said just as excited.

"Cool! Those are always great!" Charlotte grinned.

"We'll be there." Rory told Taylor.

"Ah, excellent." Taylor smiled. "Here you are." He said giving them their things.

"What's the movie this year?" Charlotte asked.

"Oh, it's going to be something really great." Taylor said.

"Really, what?" Lorelai asked.

"A real winner." He said.

"What's it called?" Rory asked.

"Well, show up and be surprised." Taylor said.

"Why won't you tell us what the movie is?" Lorelai asked.

"Because it won't be a surprise otherwise." He said.

"Oh no..." Charlotte said.

"There's a line behind you." Taylor said.

"You chose The Yearling again, didn't you?" Charlotte groaned.

"It is a fine, wholesome motion picture. Moving story, lovely scenes of nature." Taylor defended his choice.

"Urghh you've shown The Yearling the last three years in a row!" Lorelai exclaimed.

"You know something, I'm getting a little tired of hearing you three complain about this every single year."

"I'm tired, too! Pick another movie." Lorelai said.

"A lot of hard work and careful planning go into those nights. You never help plan, you never volunteer, you have never once been a ticket ripper as long as I have been involved in that function. Personally, if you can't participate with a smile and a hug, then you shouldn't participate at all." He said imperiously.