15

Lorelai was asleep when she suddenly woke up after a weird dream. She reached for the phone and called Rory at her dorm in Washington.

"Hello?" Rory answered.

"You have to come home." Lorelai said.

"Mom?"

"You're gone and the house is quiet because Charlotte sleeps in and then spends all day with Jess and Bill Maher's cancelled!" Lorelai exclaimed.

"You had another dream." Rory said.

"Yes!"

"The doctor is in." Rory sighed.

"Ok, I'm lying in bed and I'm sleeping and I'm wearing this fabulous nightgown, and like thirty alarm clocks go off and so I get out of bed and I walk downstairs and there standing is the kitchen is Luke!" Lorelai told her.

"Was he naked?" Rory asked.

"What? No! He was making breakfast." Lorelai said.

"Naked?"

"Ok, you've been in Washington way too long." Lorelai said.

"Sorry. Go ahead, he was making breakfast..." Rory apologised.

"Eggs and pancakes and bacon, and he put decaf coffee in my regular coffee bag, which of course I knew immediately."

"Well of'course! You have the nose." Rory said.

"Exactly! So eventually I find the real stuff under the sink. He hands me my breakfast, and then..."

"What?"

"He kissed me and talked to my stomach!"

"Why would he do that?" Rory asked.

"Because apparently I'm pregnant!" Lorelai exclaimed.

"What?"

"With twins!" Lorelai said. Silence was heard on the other line. "Say something." She said.

"You are going to be so fat." Rory joked.

"Just analyse my dream, please."

"Ok. Well, your dream was telling you that you are secretly in love with Luke and you want to marry him and have his twins." Rory said.

"Uh...no...try again." Lorelai said.

"What do you mean, try again? You asked me to analyse your dream, I analysed your dream."

"Yes, well, I reject that analysis, so I'd like another one, please."

"You can't just reject an analysis and try again. You're not shopping for bathing suits here." Rory pointed out.

"Give me another analysis or I'll put your Taylor hula-hooping dream into a whole other context." Lorelai said. "I'm waiting..."

Rory sighed. "Ok, maybe you're still upset about what happened with Dad because you thought he was actually going to make good on his promise this time."

Lorelai sighed. "I miss you." She said.

"I miss you, too. How's Charlotte doing?"

"I barely see her most days because she's either hanging out at the diner with Jess or she's out with Jess." Lorelai said.

"Has she mentioned dad?" Rory asked quietly.

"No. She changes the subject whenever he comes up. I know he's been ringing her because her phone goes off constantly. He even tried ringing here." Lorelai told her.