13

Two weeks had passed since Jess has left town. The first week, Charlotte barely left the house apart from going to school. She was devastated. She couldn't even look at the diner because it reminded her too much of Jess. However, soon her sadness turned to anger. How could he just leave without even saying goodbye? How could he just bail on her? Did she really mean that little to him?

This one morning, Charlotte and Rory were following Lorelai down the sidewalk who was taking them somewhere for breakfast. Since Jess had left, Lorelai and Rory had been careful not to go to the diner when Charlotte was with them.

"Where is this place?" Rory asked.

"It's not too far." Lorelai said.

"You've been saying that for miles." Rory pointed out.

"It has not been miles." Lorelai said.

"My feet are sore!" Rory whined. "Aren't your feet sore?" She turned to her sister but Charlotte had stopped and was looking over at the diner. "Charlie..." Rory said softly.

"Sorry what?" Charlotte said taking her gaze away from the diner.

"Are you ok?" Rory asked softly.

"I'm fine. Why?" Charlotte said.

"You were just staring at the diner. I know these past two weeks have been really hard..." Rory said.

"I'm fine. I'm over him." Charlotte said quickly.

"That's not true." Rory said. "You love him. I've never seen you this happy since you met Jess."

"Loved him." Charlotte said. "Loved. He left. He obviously doesn't care about me at all so why should I give him a second thought?"

"Why don't you try contacting him?" Rory asked cautiously.

"How?" Charlotte said. "He doesn't have a cell. He was against them. And I have no idea where he is."

"You could ask Luke? Maybe he's heard from him? Jess might have an explanation."

"Yeah if he had an explanation, he would have talked to me before leaving." Charlotte said bitterly. She sighed. "Rory, look, I know you're trying to help but just stop. Please. I can't...I just can't cope with this right now."

Rory sighed. "Ok. Sorry." She said. "Mom, where is this place?" She then groaned.

"Come on, it's not much further." Lorelai said.

"We're not heading toward any businesses of any kind." Rory said but then nearly walked straight into their mom as she stopped. "Mom!"

"We have arrived." Lorelai grinned.

"Arrived where?" Rory said.

"You have no shame." Charlotte smirked.

"Come on, let's go have breakfast!" Lorelai grinned and Charlotte and Rory followed their mom into Sookie and Jackson's house.

********************************

That evening, Lorelai was studying at the kitchen table as Rory and Charlotte walked out of their bedroom.

"How's it going?" Charlotte asked.

"I hate these books, hate them!" Lorelai exclaimed.

"So good then?" Charlotte smirked.

"Your books don't hate you." Rory said.

"Urgh, my brain is full! It has reached capacity! I can't do this anymore." Lorelai exclaimed.

"Now you're just being dramatic." Charlotte said.

"I simply can't ingest anymore information." Lorelai groaned.