~Chapter One~

It's after school let out and she's gotta stay for band. Finding Evan. He's her only friend that will do this. Evan is heading for the band room with Jared as the shorter boy talks about something he did over the weekend online.

"Hey Evan!" Evan pauses in his tracks.

"H-Hey, Zoe."

"Can I talk to you for a second?"

"I'll just see you later then." Jared grins slyly before walking into the band room himself. Evan can feel his cheeks heat up a bit as he approaches her.

"Do you - what's up, Zoe, do you... Need something?"

"Yeah, I need a favor, but it's a pretty big favor so It's okay if you say no."

"Uh... All right, what's - yeah, lay it on me."

"So, my parents are a bit homophobic and I'm a lesbian. They're kind of catching onto me and I need you to fake date for a little bit to prove I'm not gay." He blinks in surprise. He's stunned for a few seconds.

"Uh... Yeah. Sure, totally, Zo. I can do that."

"Really? Oh my god thank you!!" She wraps her arms around his neck and hugs him.

"Yeah, uh... N-No problem." This is the worst decision he's ever made, he thinks. Zoe walks back into the band room all happy. Evan sighs and follows to find Jared. Zoe goes to get her guitar as Jared is warming up on his trombone.

"What'd she say?"

"She uh... That she's Gay and asked me to be her fake boyfriend to throw her parents off."

"Oh my god, what did YOU say???"

"Uh... I said yes..."

"Wow, you're THAT desperate for her aren't you?" He's teasing again.

"I-I just... I don't know, I CAN'T be her boyfriend for real, so I guess I... I'm trying to help make sure she's happy? I don't know..."

"Well good luck explaining that to everyone when she finds a girlfriend."

"Yeah..."

"Are you still coming to the football game tonight?"

"Yeah... Still talking me home afterwards?"

"Yeah. Unless you want to stay over and booze a little. My parents are out tonight."

"... We can do that. Drink to celebrate if the football team wins or drink because they lose and we deserve it." Evan chuckles.

"Or maybe just how fucking awesome our Marching Band is."

"Sure, that too." he chuckles. Jared smiles slightly but keeps it subtle.

"So you can either stay and watch us practice from the Stands or wait to see it tonight."

"I think I'll stay. I always like watching you guys practice more. Less people."

"And so you can stare at Zoe Murphy the whole time?"

"N-No..."

"Mhm. Relax a little, I'm just teasin' ya." He nudges him with his arm.

"What am I gonna do, Jared? Four years of crushing on her just to be her fake boyfriend because she's a lesbian..."

"Well.... I mean there's nothing wrong with just being friends right?"

"Sure, when you're literally JUST friends. Not friends who pretend to date. This would be so much easier if I didn't like girls..."

"I hear you." Jared, a proud pansexual, favours Boys most of the time.

"I just... Gotta get over it." Evan, a mostly closeted Bisexual who tends to favor Zoe Murphy, sulks.

"It'll be alright. I'm sure you'll find someone." They all start to head out to the field. Evan probably ends up helping the field commander by wheeling the podium out to the field. It takes some strength, but his arms are nice and strong. They stretch in the meantime, Jared plays meme music every once in awhile. Evan ends up sitting on the podium while they stretch and stuff. it's nice to watch and Jared's meme music is funny.

Jared makes everyone laugh, Even Evan, really the only person he wants to make laugh. The practice goes great. Evan ends up sitting on the sideline for most of the practice, near Zoe's spot in the pit. After one long practice later, Jared jogs up to Evan.

"You like it?"

"Always do. I'm liking this year's theme."

"Y'know, one of these times, The theme is gonna be memes and I'm not gonna be here to do it."

"What a shame."

"Yeah." He chuckles breathlessly as he reaches for his water.

"... You think Zoe's going to want me to really act like her boyfriend? Hold her hand and stuff? Cause I don't think I can handle it..."

"I don't know. I don't think so, unless it's absolutely necessary."

"Let's hope it isn't." Later that evening, the game is about to start. Jared's all dressed up in his uniform.

"How do I look?"

"Great, Jared." Evan smiles.

"Your Jacket might be a little tight though."

"Because he's been wearing the same one since eighth grade and refuses to get another." One of Jared's friends says and bumps her hips against his playfully as she passes.

"Why should I? It still fits. Even if it's just a little snug." Evan giggles.

"All right, whatever you say." Jared mumbles,

"Is not like I've grown anyway."

"Just means you've already hit the perfect size. I gotta head out to get a seat near where you guys sit, I'll see you in the stands."

"See ya then." He sighs with a smile as Evan walks out. One of the other girls teasing just slightly about it.

"Aw, Jared's got a thing for nervous boy."

"You better hush it before I take apart your precious trumpet right before the game." She gasps dramatically.

"Well you better hush it before Zoe hears you've got heart eyes for her new man."

"Like I care. He doesn't like men anyway." Jared knows he's only out to Jared. No one else.

"Still."