Chapter 4.1-Loremasters, Retrievers, and Watchers, Oh My!

Ashlyn was nervous, unsure what awaited her as she rode the elevator in silence with the two Retrievers. The gossips Granger had complained about still sat in the lobby. They perked up in interest at the sight of the newcomer being escorted by two Retrievers. 

"Hannah!" One of them called out.

"Can't stop to chit chat, important business regarding the queen!" Hannah replied as she continued along, falling into step beside Ashlyn. 

"That will keep them satisfied." She leaned in closer to Ashlyn, her voice low so the gossips wouldn't overhear her. She winked at Ashlyn before turning back to wave at the gossips.

Chavez swung the glass pained doors to the apartment complex open, leading the way outside. Ashlyn winced again on habit as soon as she stepped foot back outdoors. Still, the sun didn't burn her eyes as she glanced up once more. Unfortunately, she could feel a headache coming on, most likely thanks to all the stress since her arrival. 

"Does the sun bother you?" Hannah asked glancing over. 

"It used to," Ashlyn admitted. 

"Hmm, interesting," Hannah said. 

"As Retrievers, do you two know how you got here?" Ashlyn asked, trying to make small talk while they walked.

"Technically, no. Our memories were not returned to us when we received these positions. Back in reality, it isn't hard to figure it out, though," Hannah admitted. 

"So, what happened to you two?" 

"Bar fight," Chavez grumbled. 

"9/11." Hannah sighed. 

"Bar fights and terrorists; sure makes my falling down the stairs sound really pathetic," Ashlyn mumbled. Hannah only giggled as she nodded her head in agreement. 

Ashlyn walked the rest of the way in silence, taking the time to observe the city. There weren't many people out walking at this time of the day. Most of them were all at work somewhere leaving almost bare streets. Chavez led her towards the heart of the city where the buildings began looking more dated and simple compared to the complex architecture seen around the exterior near the walls. 

"These buildings were here at the start of it all," Hannah explained noticing Ashlyn studying them. 

"Oh, why weren't they updated like everything else?" Ashlyn asked. 

"Because, they contain all the records," Chavez stated as he paused outside a one-story square building with large wooden doors marking its entrance. 

The doors creaked as they pushed them open, revealing rows upon rows of filing cabinets towering over them. Ashlyn gulped, fearing that everything would come closing in as they walked. She really didn't like closed spaces, especially when objects towered over her. Chavez only pushed her forward, causing her to stumble a little as they walked. 

He led them into the center of the building where all the rows of filing cabinets met, revealing a square opening full of random stacks of files strewn among several desks that each had their own computers. Some desks were messier than others giving hints on the type of people that worked there. 

Then there was the messiest desk in the room. Random dusty books and files had no method of organization laying stacked in a hodgepodge of mismatched piles completely covering the desktop.  The sole person in the room sat at this desk as he worked. Ashlyn never expected someone so good looking could be so messy. The man was in his mid-twenties with milky pale skin, perfectly styled platinum blonde hair and ice blue eyes. He looked clean and polished, a stark contrast to his workplace, with well fitted black pants and a sweater over his collared shirt, the sleeves half rolled back revealing the issued watch like what Ashlyn had seen on many other wrists here. The man was leaning over a file, chewing on the eraser of his pencil as he worked with headphones in his ears, some random folk music sound slipping through. 

"That man has the weirdest tastes," Chavez grumbled. 

"At least it isn't Japanoise this week," Hannah added with a shrug of her shoulders. 

"You know, I can still hear you," the man replied, never looking up from his work. 

Hannah skipped over, pulling out one of his earbuds, chuckling. "And you still have ears like a hawk." 

"The correct term is eyes," the man replied with a smirk. "Did you learn anything on your latest trip?" Hannah shook her head in response. 

"We brought her," Chavez snapped pointing to Ashlyn. 

The man perked up at the sight of Ashlyn, setting his pencil down and taking his headphones out as he walked towards her. He was slim and tall, almost angelic in his movements as he studied her with his eyes. Ashlyn gulped, not sure how to respond to this God of a man when he offered out his hand in greeting. She didn't take his hand, keeping her arms crossed as she eyed him. The man's face fell as he nodded his head before a smile broke across his lips. 

"The name is Calian Frost and I am the current Lore-master here!" 

Ashlyn cocked her head in interest unsure what a Lore-master was. Calian patted an empty seat, encouraging Ashlyn to sit as he sat down across from her. "Chavez and Hannah, go on and head on back, I can finish it from here," Calian suggested as he glanced back at the two Retrievers in the room. 

Chavez crossed his arms shaking his head in protest. "I don't think you should be left alone with anyone." 

Calian gasped as he grabbed his heart, batting his eyes as he looked between the two Retrievers. "You have such little faith in me! I promise I'll be on my best behavior!" 

Chavez only shook his head and Hannah looked hesitantly between the two. Calian's tone grew bitter as he glared at Ashlyn's escorts. "Plus, interrogations do not involve Retrievers. We wouldn't want a breach of security?" 

One of those weird Enforcer things came into view in the room, floating dangerously close to Chavez's head. Chavez only let out a snort as he swatted at the machine, turning to exit the room. "Come on Hannah, we don't need to cause any more trouble." 

Hannah nodded her head in agreement as she followed behind Chavez. The entrance to the records building echoed as the door slammed shut, leaving Ashlyn alone with only Calian in the room with her. She wasn't sure if she should trust the guy. He appeared harmless, but she knew from experience never to judge someone based on appearances. 

She winced as she felt a sharp pain in her head, absentmindedly drawing her hand up to apply pressure to the pain. Calian watched with interest, his ice-blue eyes recording everything like she was some new test subject of his. Ashlyn shook the pain from her head as she glared back at Calian, waiting for the interrogation to begin. 

~~~~~

If somehow you were to fall into a coma, would you want it to be simple like falling down the stairs or something epic like Chavez getting in a bar fight? (I really suck at coming up with interactive questions)

Stay tuned to see how the interrogation goes between Calian and Ashlyn. Feel free to share/comment/vote if you are enjoying so far!