Chapter 16.1-The Elephant in the Room

Kailee broke down in sobs as she slumped into Chavez, wiping tears from her eyes. Ashlyn swallowed back her own sobs, knowing the fear Kailee felt. She had lived Kailee's fears through her eyes. She had dreamed all their arrivals.

Chavez frowned as he let Kailee sob into his chest, glancing over to Clay for help. Clay just shrugged his shoulders, more worried about how Granger was handling the truth.

"They thought I was dead. I was supposed to be dead," Kailee wailed. She paused, swallowing back her sobs. "I woke up buried under the bodies. I tried digging my way out. I screamed, pounding against the dirt. No one heard me, no one was there!"

Chavez, Clay, Johnathan, and Calian had all grown pale. Granger still sat frozen, jaw clenched reliving his own inner turmoil. Ashlyn gulped as she watched Kailee break down. She probably had one of the more gruesome arrivals of the inhabitants. It hurt to see Kailee losing herself as she sobbed and sobbed.

"I'm the reason why people don't remember anymore."

Calian's voice grew cold, stepping away from tending to Granger's arm, grabbing Kailee by both shoulders as he glared down at her. "Hush, that's enough."

She gulped, nodding as she bit down, clenching her mouth shut. Clay stepped forward poking  Calian in the chest with his finger. "I think she should keep talking. She's been around longer than any of us. If we want the truth about this world revealed, then I think she knows some pretty nasty secrets."

"You fool, there's a reason why we don't remember. We don't need to mess with the stability of this world!" Calian shouted.

"How would remembering mess with the stability of this world?" Johnathan asked.

Kailee sniffled back a sob, her green eyes watery with tears. "If no one is content in staying here, the whole world crumbles. Those that remember want to go back. They want to escape. Their need to be free of this world's chains could destroy our whole existence. Those who are lucky enough to return home can. They have bodies to go back too. But people like me, where do we go when everything crumbles?"

Granger had enough. He jumped from his spot on the desk, brushing past everyone as he stormed from the room. Ashlyn began to chase after him, but Clay put his hand up to stop her, silently shaking his head. "Leave him be, he will just end up pissing you off."

"No, I need to follow him, move out of the way!"

Clay shook his head, motioning for Chavez to block her path. Johnathan walked up behind her, gently reaching for her shoulder. "Ash, its ok. Leave him be. He's probably just brooding and being emo and shit."

Ashlyn whirled around ready to slap Johnathan. He saw it coming and grabbed her wrist mid-strike, shaking his head. The words practically spat from Ashlyn's mouth as she lashed out at her best friend. "Don't stereotype him unless you know him."

Johnathan gulped, taking a step back in shock at Ashlyn's outburst. She continued to rant, turning her focus back to Clay. He was the only other one who knew Granger, but he didn't know everything. He hadn't seen everything she had seen. He didn't understand. Being alone wasn't what Granger needed. He may push and shove people away, but he didn't want to get hurt. All he's ever been was hurt. He's been tormented his whole life. Right now, being alone was the last thing he needed. His girlfriend was dead. The only rock he had back in reality was gone for good and everyone blamed him. Even he had blamed himself. It wasn't Granger's fault.

"I saw everything. I saw all your memories and let me tell you one thing, he's the last one who needs to be alone right now. I need to stop him!"

"Ashlyn, what do you mean you saw everything?" Calian questioned, "Are you the reason behind all of us remembering?"