Chapter 8.1-The Cowardly Lion

A very angry middle schooler screamed like a banjee as she jumped from the trees cutting off the path between the beast and Ashlyn and the boy. Kailee hadn't chickened out much to Ashlyn's surprise and was crazily waving a sword around.

"Ashlyn, run out of the woods to safety!" Kailee instructed.

"Wait, are you insane? Do you seriously think you can fight that thing?" Ashlyn madly waved her hands at Kailee then the beast. "And wouldn't it be more sensible to imagine a gun, not a freaking sword?"

"It's the first thing I thought of on short notice!" Kailee snapped, "Just hurry up and run!"

Ashlyn nodded as she pushed the boy forward. "Go towards the edge of the woods." She pointed in the direction.

The boy nodded, as he continued running. Ashlyn turned around to go help her friend. Kailee looked pretty badass as she circled with the beast, waiting to strike. The beast studied the sword with intelligent eyes, debating on if it should attack or not.

"Ashlyn, why aren't you running?" Kailee cried.

"Um, because you can't fight that thing alone!" Ashlyn replied.

Kailee could barely hold the sword. Her tiny arms trembled as she held it in a striking position. She wouldn't be strong enough to do any damage. The beast lunged forward and Kailee barely deflected, wincing as she was knocked to the side with its paw.

"Kailee!"

"Run you, idiot!" Kailee ordered. Ashlyn shook her head, biting down on her trembling lip at the sight of more red eyes creeping out from the darkness.

Now they were really screwed.

She glanced back to see that the boy had broken through the woods, back into the open. She had to create a distraction so she and Kailee could escape too. Her imagination was her weapon. If only she could imagine something to get them out of this jam. A gun would work, but she never shot one before. That was a risk if she used up all her bullets and missed every single one of them or accidentally shot Kailee. Ashlyn shook her head trying to think. The beasts hated the sun. That's why the city was built with a reflective barrier. Ashlyn studied the trees around her. The sun wouldn't be out now, it had almost set. Plus the trees blocked the way.

Kailee let out a scream as one of the beasts nipped at her. She blindly swung out her sword, connecting with flesh. The beast let out a yelp, falling back. Kailee was cornered, backed against a tree, five pairs of red eyes staring at her ready for their next meal. Her thigh was bleeding from where the beast nipped her as she trembled trying to remain standing. Her friend was going to die unless Ashlyn figured something out quick.

Ashlyn wished the trees would bend, and the sun would appear. She pushed the idea in her mind, wishing that light would fill the forest. She pushed past the pain in her head, clenching down on her jaw as she envisioned the light in her mind.

In the background, trees began to bend and shift, curving out of the way as an opening was made above Ashlyn. The setting sun slowly reversed, growing brighter and brighter as it felt like it pulled closer to the earth.

No, it is actually coming closer!

The sun's rays hit Ashlyn, slowly creeping forward towards the beasts. The beasts jumped back in fear at the sight of the sun. Kailee's mouth was dropped open in awe looking at what Ashlyn had done with her mind. The beasts continued creeping farther back in the woods, their darkened sanctuary filled with the unforgiving light. Kailee scrambled to her feet, stumbling along towards Ashlyn.

"Run!" Kailee screamed, shaking Ashlyn from her daze.

Ashlyn nodded as she fought off her pounding headache and dizziness, practically letting Kailee drag her along as the sun and trees began to return to its normal position. Kailee and Ashlyn panted as they broke from the woods back into the grassy plains to find that backup had already arrived. Granger stood with one hand gripping the boy's shirt collar, glaring at the two girls as they fell forward. A group of Welcomers stood behind him, various weapons in hand, their eyes wide with shock.

"Woah, that was awesome!" Clay grinned. He stood with a circle of Enforcers surrounding him that he controlled with his tablet.

"I caught the stupid brat," Granger snapped and pushed the kid forward. The kid had tears streaming down his cheeks as he ran into Ashlyn's arms.

"It is ok, you're safe." Ashlyn ruffled his hair letting a weary smile form on her lips.

"Granger, do you have to be so mean?" Kailee snapped.

"The cowardly lion almost got you killed!"

"Well, we survived, so be happy." Kailee grimaced as she slumped to the ground to examine her bleeding leg.

"Here, some bandages." One of the Welcomers rushed forward to help fix up Kailee's leg.

"Thanks," Kailee replied. She frowned at her leg, examining the depth of the wounds. "I'm not sure if I'll be able to walk back, it's pretty nasty."

"Don't worry, hop on," the Welcomer said. Kailee nodded as she accepted the piggyback ride, letting them begin their walk towards the city.

Ashlyn pushed the boy along, urging him to follow the group of people. She stumbled a bit on her feet, pausing as she tried to keep her head from spinning.

"Ashlyn, are you alright?" Clay worriedly asked.

"Man, my head really hurts, now." Ashlyn slurred.

"Storesøster?" the boy asked as he stepped back glancing up at Ashlyn. He sniffled, wiping his eyes full of admiration and worry.

"Don't worry, kid. I'm just a bit exhausted," Ashlyn said. 

"Come here, Dorothy," Granger snapped.

"Hey, what are you-" Ashlyn began.

"Shut up, you are in no condition to walk." Granger slung her over his shoulder. Ashlyn pounded on his back, trying to wiggle free.

"Granger, that's not how you carry the damsel," Clay said with a smirk.

"She's no fucking damsel. She just forced the sun to appear!"

"Put me down, and let me walk. I am not going back to the city like some caveman's prize," Ashlyn growled. She squealed as Granger let her go, dumping her to the ground.

"Fine, hop on my back."

Ashlyn frowned, glancing over at the others for help. The other Welcomers had already begun walking wanting to reach the city before the sun fully disappeared. Kailee ignored them, relaying her battle to the Welcomer carrying her as they walked away while Clay snickered.

"I'd carry you, but I have to have my arms handy to issue commands to the Enforcers." Clay shrugged his shoulders. "Though, I'd happily cradle you in my arms."

"Fuck off, Wade," Granger snapped. "Now hop on or we can leave you for the beasts."

Ashlyn groaned as she jumped onto Granger's back, wrapping her arms around his neck. She blushed as his hands rested on her thighs to help support her weight on him. She could feel him tense as her arms wrapped around his neck. He mumbled more curse words under his breath slowly stomping along, trailing behind the rest of the group as they headed back towards the Mirror City. 

~~~~~

If you had to create a weapon from thin air to battle the beasts, what would it be? Would it be something as simple as Kailee's sword or would you go all out like Ashlyn and summon the sun? Feel free to share your thoughts below!

Stay tuned as Ashlyn, unfortunately, has another run-in with Calian. Maybe this time he won't stab her with any syringes. ;)

Share/Comment/Vote if you enjoyed!