Chapter 16.0-The Elephant in the Room

Forcefully dragging Granger along to Calian's workplace was not on Ashlyn's top list of things to do first thing in the morning. Granger was still being distant, his eyes glazed and mind elsewhere that morning which worried Ashlyn. Her hand gripped his wrist as she led him through the city streets hoping she would not run across anyone she knew. Stopping to answer questions was not something she felt like doing.

Ashlyn dreaded walking through the towering filing cabinets to get to the center of the Loremaster's building. She kept her anxiety in check, pulling Granger through the maze in search for Calian. Calian wasn't alone today, other Loremasters worked alongside him while he barked orders on where to put things or what to do with incoming files that he was reading through.

Everyone paused at the sight of Ashlyn and Granger. Calian studied the two, a smirk on his lips as he approached the two of them. "Where were you this morning?"

He leaned in closer towards Ashlyn's ears, pausing for a brief moment when his eyes caught sight of her neck. Calian scoffed, glaring at Granger. Ashlyn blushed as she pulled at her shirt, trying to cover the hickey that had appeared thanks to Granger.

Calian's eyes darted between the two as he ran his hands through his hair, shaking his head. Ice blue eyes landed on Granger's arm, widening in shock. Silently, he motioned for the two of them to follow him further into the building. "I'll be in my office if you need anything," He barked to his employees as he tugged the two deeper into the maze of filing cabinets to the very back of the building towards a giant oak door.

Calian motioned for Granger to take a seat on his desk in his private office. Granger grumbled as he sat down, suspiciously watching Calian carefully unwrap his bandages. "If you even think of stabbing me with some shot, I'll kick you through the wall."

Calian's fingers gently pressed near the wound, studying the deepness of the cut. "Luckily this treatment doesn't require shots."

Granger scoffed, averting his gaze. Ashlyn felt queasy at the sight of the wound, slumping into a giant comfy brown leather chair while she watched Calian tend to Granger's arm.

"Does it disgust you?" Granger spat, locking eyes with Ashlyn. She shook her head.

"Your face tells a different story." Granger was being cold once more in defense as Calian quietly worked. "If this was reality, I'd finally be dead. Then nobody would be disgusted with me anymore."

Tears welled in Ashlyn's eyes, her heart wrenching that Granger had reverted to this mindset after last night. She shouldn't have opened her mouth about his dead girlfriend or the fact that Clay was a part of his past. Maybe if she had just kept her mouth shut, he wouldn't be in such a mood today.

Calian tensed, his eyes angrily darting up to Granger. "Just shut the fuck up and stop trying to push everyone away." Granger winced when Calian squeezed a bit too tightly on his wound.

Ashlyn jumped from her seat, reaching towards Calian and Granger. "Stop, you're hurting him!"

Calian laughed as he whirled around. "This is what he wants. He enjoys being treated like shit. That's all he's ever known and that's all he ever wants to know. He doesn't understand kindness, he never will, so stop trying to save him."

SLAP! Ashlyn's hand moved own it's own, leaving a giant red mark on Calian's cheek, stopping his rant. Both he and Granger were shocked at her sudden outburst as she angrily wiped the tears from her eyes. "You're wrong. She was kind to him. She was willing to try to save him."

"And now she's dead." Another voice spoke. Ashlyn turned to see Clay was standing in the doorway with a sad look on his face, Chavez standing next to him.