Chapter 14-Stuck in an Elevator

Ashlyn walked back to her apartment with Johnathan that evening. He apparently was staying on the floor above hers. She hated that he didn't remember their past, but it still felt natural talking to him. Before long, they were joking around like old times.

"I can't believe you were the one behind those rumors on the day I arrived!" Johnathan said.

"Yeah, I guess you're right." Ashlyn blushed. She had almost forgotten about all the drama she caused when she first arrived from making a sun appear to chase of the Beasts. After several weeks, it felt like a distant memory to her.

As they headed back towards the apartment, a familiar red beanie caught her eye. Granger. He had seen her too, as he paused, staring her down. Ashlyn hesitantly walked towards him with Johnathan in tow. Granger's eyes narrowed in on Johnathan, scoffing at the sight of the blond-haired teen.

"Dorothy, did you finally find Todo?"

"Todo?" Johnathan asked, confused. "It's Johnathan."

"Forget it," Ashlyn sighed as she glared back at Granger.

"Hmm, and how do you know Todo, Dorothy?"

"He's my chil-" Ashlyn froze, quickly catching herself. "Calian's coworker."

Granger's frown grew deeper, his grey eyes studying Johnathan. They stood there in awkward silence for several seconds before Granger finally spoke up. "I guess it's a good thing your lap dog ended up here."

Granger stormed back into the apartment complex without another word. Ashlyn ran her hands through her hair, casting Johnathan an apologetic look. "Please excuse me."

"Ugh, sure," Johnathan mumbled.

Ashlyn ran after Granger, shouting his name. She glanced over to see the Gossips pointing her way as she tried to catch him. She stuck her leg into the elevator, forcing her way past the shutting doors. Granger stood leaning against the back of the elevator with his arms crossed, studying Ashlyn. He scoffed, rolling his eyes at the sight of Johnathan pushing his way in behind Ashlyn.

"Granger," Ashlyn frowned.

"What do you want?" Granger snapped.

"Don't speak to her like that!" Johnathan said.

Granger chuckled, his gray eyes narrowing in on Johnathan. "What, are you her boyfriend, now?"

"No, but I won't let you be mean to her, either!"

"Johnny, hush, it's ok. It's just the way Granger is." Ashlyn rested her palm on Johnathan's chest, shaking her head in warning. Johnathan let out a huff in annoyance as he crossed his arms, glaring at Granger.

Granger looked exhausted. Since the last time she saw him, the bags under his eyes had continued to get worse. He hadn't been sleeping well. The sleeve of his jacket had slipped up, revealing fresh bandages. Granger quickly shifted his sleeve down, turning to shield the arm from her view.

Hurt lined Ashlyn's voice, her brow crinkling as she reached for his hand. "You said you would stop."

"Back off!" Granger swatted her back, but Ashlyn wasn't taking no for an answer.

Johnathan watched in silence, biting his tongue, ready to intervene between the two if necessary. Ashlyn finally caught Granger's wrist. Granger tensed, wincing slightly in pain as Ashlyn got closer to him; they were practically touching in the closed space. The elevator came to a lurching stop, causing her to go stumbling forward into Granger's chest.

"Why are we stopping?" Johnathan asked, his hands pressed against the wall trying to maintain his balance. His eyes fell on Ashlyn and Granger, his brows rising in question. Granger quickly dropped his hand from steadying Ashlyn's waist, turning his attention to the elevator doors, banging on them to open.