2. Something About Him

Clarke:

They set off at first light the next day and her head was pounding. Bellamy kept trying to help Octavia to walk and she kept pushing him away and Clarke couldn't help but smile.

She thought about waking up in the night, Bellamy's cold thank you. She wished he wouldn't hate her so much for she could see a burning leader waiting just beneath the surface, a strong and powerful heart hidden beneath the snarls and the biterness, someone who could stand by her, help her! But....that was not likely going to happen, he hated her so strongly.

It was true, the upper and lower classes never did get on, and on the Ark they were rather separated but all of Clarke's friends - and of those she only had two - were not 'of her class' and it had never mattered to her, she'd never really given the issue much thought - Clearly Bellamy had.

They arrived back at the dropship and the group split immediately as the supplies were shared out. Clarke took some of the bags to the dropship so that rationing could begin. They'd need to find animals and nuts soon, learn how to hunt.

When she left the ship, Jay came running up to her. "Bellamy heard the radio! I didn't show him!" She stuttered and Clarke smiled.

"It's okay. Bellamy was actually helpful...sort of." She laughed and Jay exhaled in relief.

"I'm not sure about him. He was quite nice to me..." Jay said sheepishly and Clarke looked up, seeking him out in the crowd, her eyes connecting with his as they had done over the fire. She knew she was right about the leader inside him just waiting to get out, but how to find it was another thing entirely.

He looked away quickly and Clarke sighed. "He's definitely a puzzle."

....

Clarke decided to approach him that night, as most of the group had settled down to sleep.

A few fires had been lit around the area so Clarke could see a little as she looked for him.

"Here to tell me off princess?" He spat as soon as he saw her and Clarke folded her arms.

"No-"

"What do you want?" He sighed and Clarke bit back her anger.

"Why do you hate me so much?" She blurted out, some of the anger seeping through.

"I hate all that you stand for." Bellamy replied, hardly answering the question.

"And what exactly do I stand for?" Clarke asked, her cheeks heating with rage as she thought of all the great things her father had stood for, all the things she too stood for. He was either mocking that or had no clue!

"You stand for a class of snobish pricks." He said as if he were bored and Clarke snapped, slapping him accross the face. He stood stunned for a moment and Clarke shakily drew her hand back. She'd never hit anyone before but as memories of her father flooded her mind, tears came into her eyes, rage turning slowly to a rippling despair.

"You know nothing about me Blake." She said slowly and he was watching her with an unreadable expression. She turned before he could see her cry and she hurried away.

...

She avoided him after that, deciding her instincts had been wrong. He couldn't lead. He was too immature, too careless and cruel.

Clarke on the other hand, got to sorting rations and talking about possible hunters.

Thats when she heard him, coming up behind her.

"I've got pretty good aim."

Clarke turned slowly, glaring up at Bellamy who's shirt buttons were undone at the top, exposing his sharp collar bones and some of his tanned chest.

"What?" She exclaimed harshly.

"With a knife. I could be a good hunter for your little group." He said, glancing over at the bunch of girls and boys who were making weapons like spears. "Finn? Really?" Bellamy scoffed then and Clarke scoffed right back.

"He's the tracker." She said, "but if you really want to let him boss you around then fine! Be a hunter." Clarke said, waving her hand impatiently.

"Yes princess." He said with a mocking bow and Clarke gritted her teeth.

"Call me that again and don't think I wont punch you this time." She snarled before storming away to join Jay beneath a tree.

She had taken quite a liking to the girl, and the girl to her. She still seemed rather scared of the other delinquents, but she trusted Clarke.

Clarke sat with her through til the night and Jay fell asleep, her head against Clarke's shoulder. Clarke smiled down at her and leaned back against the tree, the drawing she had been attempting with some crumbly black stone, sat in her lap, half finished.

When she looked around she saw Bellamy talking to some other guys, Murphy and Miller she believed. They nodded and set off, weapons in their hands. Clarke was too tired to think much of it but when Bellamy turned, his eyes met hers for a moment. Neither of them looked away this time.

After a couple heartbeats, Bellamy's gaze slowly shifted to Jay and then he turned and skulked away into the night.

There was something about that boy...but Clarke couldn't put her finger on it. Thankfully she didn't have to think too much on it as sleep came for her and pulled her into a deep darkness.

When she woke the next morning, Jay was gone.