23. Looking Up

Bellamy:

He ran as fast as he could, worried by the light weight in his arms. Running with her was almost as easy as running without.

He could hear the campers concerned and confused voices fading away behind him. They weren't following because Bellamy had managed to push through the crowd, and had reached her first. He'd moved foward as soon as she had hesitated upon saying "I Do", she had gone as pale as a ghost.

He took her to the only place he knew was somewhat private and which was a decent distance from the camp. Should people come looking, they'd have time to get away.

He hurried onto the snowy beach and crossed it to a sheltered alcove he had found while exploring. He hurried inside and gently lay Clarke down, keeping her close.

He wiped the sick from her lips and brushed her now-matted hair from her face.

"Clarke? Come on, Clarke wake up!" He cried but she was unconscious, taking each breath in small gasps.

She looked like she hand't eaten all week. He unhooked the water carrier from his belt loop and tipped the liquid into her mouth.

She drank and slowly blinked her eyes open. She looked around worriedly before her delicate blue eyes settled on him and she smiled.

"Bellamy" she whispered and Bellamy's eyes blurred with tears. He'd gone so long without seeing or hearing from her, he'd forgotten how much he cared for her.

"I'm here. Clarke, I'm here." He said, pulling her even closer.

"I'm sorry" she whispered and Bellamy looked down, shaking his head, tears falling down his cheeks. "I thought I was doing the right thing." She croaked.

"You were! Clarke you were!" He said, because she had made the choice for the benefit of the people. "You are a wise and good leader Clarke Griffin. You taught me, even when I was an arrogant pig, how to be lead with my head aswell as my heart and my heart aswell as my head. I wont let you go back to him." He said firmly and he thought Clarke was about to protest but instead she rested her head on his chest.

"What will my mother say...when I tell  her I have fallen in love with a janitor?" Clarke said quietly and it took Bellamy a moment to realise what she meant and then he looked down and laughed.

"I dont imagine she'll be best pleased" he said and Clarke smiled.

"No, I don't imagine she will be." Clarke giggled and then she started to sit up, "I am starving!"

Bellamy left her in the protection of the alcove, promising a swift return, and sneaked back into camp.

Guards were still looking around but most people had slumped down into a shocked and distressed state, others were just going about their work. He could see council members huddled, Abby looking worried in the centre of them and he saw Aaron.

Aaron was sat, staring wide eyed and pale, a gathering of about five girls clinging to him, some lads kneeling down in front of him. Bellamy felt a twinge of guilt. Aaron had only been doing what he felt right, and Bellamy supposed he had truly liked Clarke. Aaron didn't love her though, and Bellamy was certain now, that he did.

While everyone was distracted, it was easy for Bellamy to make his way to the meat shed and gather up some food into his bag.

He hurried over to light a branch on one of the fires and then hurried back to Clarke.

She was sat up against the wall shivering and he quickly set his bag down, emptied out the dry branches he had stolen from camp and set them alight on the ground.

Clarke shuffled closer and the orange light really illuminated the damage that had been done to her. Her pain seemed to shimmer.

Bellamy sat next to her and wrapped his arm around her back. He'd never imagined Clarke could appear so...weak. Anger boiled inside his stomach. How could her own mother have done this to her?

"So, what now?" Clarke asked, sounding sturdier than she felt in his arms.

"I don't know." Bellamy sighed. "You tell Aaron you can't marry him anddd...you admit to everyone that you are madly in love with a street-rat!" He said cheekily, kissing her on the head. She giggled softly but shook her head.

"I'll be letting everyone down" she sighed.

"Ashamed of me princess?" Bellamy asked, surprised by his own light heartedness.

"No." She said firmly, looking up. "Never. I'll tell everyone I was sick. We must go back tonight. I will talk to Aaron and...and call the wedding off..." she looked worried so Bellamy pulled her closer.

"They'll understand, your mother will understand. I think the good has been done. It gave the people something to hope for and now the council has had time to sort everything out. Everyones well and with their families, all the delinquents are free now and camp is almost finished. People have their jobs, their hobbies. People have been exploring, returning with their stories. I think you did the right thing Clarke."

She blinked at him and he smiled, ruffling her hair.

"Just, please don't leave me again." He said shakily and she pressed her lips to his before resting her head on his shoulder and closing her eyes.

"Not counting on it Blake" she said softly.

"I thought you said we needed to go back tonight?" He smirked and she mumbled.

"Yeah...Just a few more minutes..." she sighed and he leaned back, closing his eyes.

Things were looking up!