Chapter One: Never Let Me Go

So hold me close and never let me, never let me go, at my lowest of lows, when I need you the most.

"How could you cheat on me with my best friend?"

"Brooke, I never meant to hurt you."

"That doesn't really matter, Lucas, 'cause in the end it all hurts just the same."

The thoughts flooded back through Lucas' head. He had no idea why he was thinking about her so much. Brooke Davis. He was sure he had made the right choice when he picked the curly-haired, blonde to be his girlfriend, but now it was all different. They had been happy, except it never felt real. It all seemed too cliché and forced, half of the time it felt like he was kissing his sister. The truth is, it was obvious that they were supposed to be together: she was the tortured artist, he was the tortured athlete. They were a picture perfect couple. Lucas knew this, but deep down inside, he didn't want that: he wanted to escape the ordinary and take risks. He wanted Brooke Davis.

Brooke had been talking to Peyton and Lucas again, she had decided to forgive them, she too was certain that Lucas and Peyton were destined for one another. Who was she to stand in the way of true love? Brooke and Peyton were now talking regularly, and going to the mall like nothing was wrong. Lucas, on the other hand, she was more reluctant to get close to; she couldn't let herself get hurt all over again.

There was a tapping on Lucas' bedroom door, as he looked to the window and saw the familiar tall, sleek silhouette of his girlfriend. "It's open" Lucas called out, as she twisted the knob, and stepped inside his room, closing the door behind her.

"Hi.." she gave a small smile and took a deep breath, walking closer to the bed. Lucas gave his mattress a light tap, signalling for her to take a seat. They sat in a comfortable silence. The silence was broken by Peyton. "I know you still like her, Luke. Anyone can see that." Lucas looked at her, his eyes wide, not really understanding the words that had just exited her mouth. Her voice didn't sound angry or agitated though, it was more of an understanding tone, like she knew how he was feeling.

"I don-"

"Lucas" she laughed. "I see how you look at her in complete awe when she walks past you in the corridor, or gives you a playful tap on the back. I see the way you nuzzle your face into the crook of her neck, and hold her hair when she hugs you. I see how you truly feel, and there's no point in denying it, or getting angry, because I feel the same way." Lucas gave her a look of confusion. "Oh, no. I don't feel that way about Brooke, oh my gosh. I meant Jake Jagielski." Lucas nodded at her words, he should've seen that coming.

He felt like he should do something, say something that would make it all better; perhaps he should proclaim his undying love for her - but that wouldn't have been honest, and believe me, there are already way too many lies floating around in Tree Hill. "I guess that's it then.." he gave a slight sigh, wishing that he hadn't have even started this relationship with Peyton, if he knew that he would want Brooke back eventually.

"I guess it is" she stated, again flashing her small smile, and shrugged in defeat. "C'mere" she said soothingly, as she leaned in for a hug, and took in his scent, knowing it was the last time they would hug as a couple. She stood up and walked over to the door.

"Oh, Peyton?" Lucas said, as she turned back around. "Thank you"

"For what?" she asked, confused.

"Helping me realise what it is that I truly want." he admitted, with a grin.

Peyton gave him one last smile, before twisting the knob, and leaving Lucas' room. Lucas walked over to his dresser and opened his drawer, pulling out a picture of him and Brooke that had been taken at Karen's Cafe when they were dating. "She looked so happy.." he whispered, speaking his thoughts. That picture was taken two weeks before they split up.