Prologue

My name is Indigo North. I was born on an island not too far from the infamous Isle of Berk. My parents disappeared when I was five, so I don't remember them much, but by that time I knew how to fend for myself.

My real passion from a young age was dragons. They were everywhere and from the smallest Terrible Terror to the biggest Bewilderbeast, I wanted to befriend them all.

If there's one thing my parents ever taught me, it's that dragons are incredible and unique creatures.

When I was fourteen I finally was able to go to the School of Dragons, which had recently been built on a smaller island bordering Berk. It was open to any Viking who wished to learn about dragons. This obviously included me.

I went there with my first dragon. At the time she was only a hatchling. Her name is Stylive and she's a beautiful Deadly Nadder. We went together to learn more about dragons, though together we'd already earned a lot.

We started our studies there. Most people kept out of our way, not in an unkind way, they simply had their own friends. We didn't really mind too much, though. We used the time to go through books and many other sources to learn about dragons.

I'll never forget the day when everything changed.

We were sat in one of the class rooms and a dragon burst through the wall. The headmaster had rushed in and ushered all us students out, yelling something about a dragon hunter attack. Stylive and I decided to see what dragon it was.

It was a beautiful Skrill, a Strike class dragon. You could sense the fear and panic radiating from it. I knew I couldn't leave it there to be caught and enslaved, so I rushed over with Stylive.

It tried to blast me with lightening, but I avoided the attacks and reached it, stroking it gently. "Let me help you. I won't let them take you. You have to trust me."

People started running over to drag me away, but I refused to budge. I pointed up at the four dragon hunters advancing on us. They were riding enslaved Monstrous Nightmares and carrying large nets. "Stylive, the nets," I told my dragon, who incinerated the ropes with her fire.

I reached out to the Skrill and placed my hand slowly in the space between its nostrils. It allowed me to, to my slight surprise. I carefully mounted the Skrill and we took off, Stylive in one of my arms.

The Skrill flew at the enslaved dragons and used its long tail to knock off the hunters, who didn't see us coming. The Monsterous Nightmares roared at us before flying away, free.

The Skrill started flying over the oceans. We flew for hours until it landed on a beautiful island. I knew now was the time to begin the task I had been thinking of for years.

I started building what today is the elusive Dragon Sanctuary.