Hiccup In The Plan | Part 1

Hiccup's POV:

I can't believe it; the Dragon Master is real! When I realised we couldn't get the Death Song off of Berk like I had promised my dad, I wrote a note and sent it throughout the Archipelago in hopes that the myths of a rouge dragon rider on an island filled with dragons that had the ability to tame any dragon they came across were true.

I never thought I'd get a response from that letter until Astrid burst into the hut when dad and I were watching Skullcrusher and Toothless eat their fish.

"Hiccup, there's a masked rider on the island and you need to see which dragon they're on!"

I immediately rush to her. Is it a new dragon species? "Which dragon is it?" I ask Astrid. "It's one that we haven't figured out how to train yet," is all she says before she starts running. Dad, Toothless and I follow.

We arrive at a large crowd of vikings who seem in awe of something. Dad and I push through them all and I just stare, wide-eyed, at what I see.

A masked dragon rider is eyeing the crowd, armour made of what looks like dragonscales covering their slender yet athletic build. I see tufts of jet black hair from the hood that compliments the fabric mask, causing their striking green eyes and creamy skin to stand out harshly. It has to be him.

But it's his Death Song that really catches my attention.

The Death Song is a small one compared to what it could be, its about the same size as a Deadly Nadder. Surprisingly, it isn't singing at all. How did their rider not only tame them but also stop them from singing?

I wasn't paying much attention to the conversation he and my dad were having, only enough to be able to know what was going on. I was shocked when they showed me the very same letter I'd sent out.

The moment the Dragon Master had left I began worrying, unsure whether they would come out okay. They claimed to know what they were doing and the fact that they'd obviously done something like this before confirmed that, but I couldn't help but silently pray to Thor that I didn't just send them to their death.

By the looks of things everyone else is thinking the same as me, since they all hurried after the rapidly disappearing Death Song and its rider. I mounted Toothless and we began to follow.

The first thing I noticed was that there was only occasional singing from the spot where it has been thriving lately. What was going on in there? I'm about to find out when the Dragon Master returns, the larger Death Song which has been terrorising Berk following him without a sound of objection.

The next thing I know Toothless is trying to fly over to the Dragon Master. I adjusted his tail fin so we can do just that. "Dragon Master, on behalf of Berk and my future people, I would like to thank you for your help with the Death Song," I said sincerely to him.

That was when Toothless started playing up. He seemed to like the Dragon Master, even trying to remove his mask, though he somehow managed to hang from his Death Song's underbelly like gravity didn't exist. I still can't believe Toothless did that.

After I apologised for Toothless the Dragon Master left, the larger Death Song in tow. It was then I realised I hadn't given them the reward I promised them, even if he said they didn't come for it.

I fly Toothless back home to find dad piling gold into a small chest. "Where is he, I need to give him this," he asked me. I knew who he was talking about.

"He left in a hurry, I barely had the chance to thank them," I explain. He only sighs in response. "Shame, that. They could've been a very powerful ally if nessessary."

"Well they came to help Berk once, maybe they'll come to help us again," I suggest. "I hope so, son," Dad agreed.

When our conversation ended I went off to work on new designs for Toothless's tail fin. I'm wondering if I can make one that's lighter than his usual one so we can go faster and higher.

It's hours later when Fishlegs hurries in. "Hiccup! Ruff, Tuff and Snotlout went after the Dragon Master!"

I shoot up from my chair and run outside, Toothless following. He seems to like the Dragon Master for some reason, though I don't know why. What did he do to him?

Toothless roars something to Meatlug, who Fishlegs is already mounting. Meatlug roars back and sits down. "Come on, girl, let's go!" Fishlegs prompts, but she doesn't budge.

"I guess Toothless and I will take this one," I tell Fishlegs. Toothless leaps into the air and flies off in the direction the Dragon Master has went.

It takes more hours of flying before I catch up to the twins, who are dodging Death Song amber. The Dragon Master and Snotlout must be close. I fly around a few trees before I see them over the ocean. From the looks of things the Dragon Rider is standing on the tail of a Slitherwing and holding Snotlout by the throat.

Oh, Thor.

The moment he releases Snotlout Toothless grabs him by the shoulders. He glares up at me and I do the same to them. "I save your island and you repay me with this?!" He hisses at me.

"I saw what you tried to do with Snotlout, I can't let you get away with that."

"So you have also been following me? And I barely touched him if that's what you claim you saw. As much as he deserved to be slung into the ocean I prefer not to resort to violence when it's possible."

Suddenly Toothless is trying to lick at them. "Don't even think about it," The Dragon Master warns him, but the edge in their voice has been replaced with a much calmer tone.

"Toothless seems to be interested in you," I remark, still surprised. "That he does," the Dragon Master agrees. "Now let me go. I have places to be and that doesn't include the talons of a Night Fury."