Recognition

As we exited the farm, I realised people had crowded around to see if we could sort out the Death Song. They all gasped in surprise when it followed me and Harmony out without any singing or restraints. "They tamed the Death Song!" "It is the Dragon Master!" "See them, kids? They're the rider from the stories!"

I smirk beneath my mask. They actually think I'm a master of dragons? Are Berkians really this gullible? Harmony takes to the air and I turn to check that the Death Song is still following. Harmony starts flying away to Melody Island but a slash of black prevents our escape.

"Dragon Master, on behalf of Berk and my future people, I would like to thank you for your help with the Death Song," Hiccup stated. I nod, but then notice that Toothless is sniffing curiously at me, staring me in the eyes. I refuse to make contact, knowing this could possibly indicate a challenge.

Suddenly his eyes widen and his tongue starts lolling out the side of his mouth, an attempt at a smile on his face. Does he remember me or something? He'd better not, or if he does I hope he doesn't act on it.

"I should get this dragon to Melody Island," I say to Hiccup. Harmony flies upwards to go around Toothless and Hiccup but Toothless follows, blocking us again. He then starts flying as close to me as he can, pawing at my mask. Oh Thor, he does know.

"Toothless, stop that!" Hiccup demands, trying to remove Toothless from me. I keep my mask on my face, even allowing myself to slide to Harmony's underbelly while clasping my legs tightly around her waist in order to prevent my falling. Toothless realises he's not getting anywhere so reluctantly stops. Harmony uses her talons to help me back up into her back.

"I am so sorry!" Hiccup sighs. "He's usually pretty calm, I don't know what has gotten into him." Toothless hangs his head at that. Maybe he's having second thoughts about my identity after all.

"That's... quite alright," I say slowly, choosing each word carefully. I can't afford to slip up, now more than ever with Toothless on my back. I fly up once more and this time Toothless doesn't prevent it. Good.

The Death Song follows me and Harmony as we fly off. Once we're so far from Berk I can't see it when I turn around, I finally heave a sigh of relief. We're safe. I was worried there for a moment.

Suddenly I'm tackled from Harmony's back by a flying object. Harmony and the other Death Song roar out in surprise, panic and - in Harmony's case - anger. I plummet into the ocean, a loud splash following me under.

The first thing I do is check my mask is still on. My mask! Where is it?! I whip my head around until I see it, but then I realise it's in the hands of a Viking I remember all too well. He must've followed me and thrown me off Harmony. I wouldn't put it past him.

Snotlout.

I pull my hair out of its braid and throw it in front of my face, shielding my identity as well as possible, before trying to pull my mask from his grip. He glared at me and tugs back, so I kick him where the Whispering Deaths tunnel. He groans in pain and grabs where I kicked him, dropping my mask. I take it, pull it on and swim to the surface, gasping for breath.

Harmony is quick to notice me. She pulled me up from the water and threw me onto her back. "That arrogant fool!" I mutter to myself. "Thank you for the help, Harmony. Now I need to deal with this pest."

I see Snotlout's Monstrous Nightmare Hookfang gather up his rider, rolling his eyes. I can't help but agree with this action. He's lucky I wasn't wearing white.

"Explain," I order Snotlout, glaring at him furiously. He's still holding the spot I kicked. "No, you explain why you kicked me in the-"

"I told you to explain," I cut him off. "Why did you not only follow me but attempt to remove my mask?" "Simple, because I needed to find out who you are," Snotlout retorted. I snort, not unlike how a dragon would. "Well I'm afraid I can't let that happen. I keep myself hidden for a reason, you know."

Snotlout glared at me. "If you'll excuse me, I have a dragon to aid," I say before he has the chance to say another word. The Death Song was spooked by Snotlout, but thankfully it didn't flee. I place a hand on its snout to calm it slightly, quietly singing its special call to it.

The dragon calmed quickly and soon enough we were back on track to Melody Island. We flew for hours before arriving. The amber levels around the area were very high and I knew this Death Song would be right at home here.

It began flying around and singing energetically. "I see you like it here," I nod to it. It rawked happily and sang. I sang back, much to its delight. "I have to go for now, but I'll check on you soon to make sure you adapt well," I tell it. It sings one last time before flying away, seemingly content with this.

"I suppose we should return home," I tell Harmony, who rawks excitedly. I know she's eager to get back and play with Volcana's hatchlings. Most of my dragons love it when hatchlings come along.

I mount up and scan the area, making sure Snotlout didn't follow us here. I don't see him anywhere, but I decide to make sure, so I sigh loudly. "I know you're there, just come out," I say. I hear a rustle of bushes behind me along with grumbling. I was right.

"How did you know I was there?" Snotlout demanded. I turned to him. "It's quite hard to hide an entire dragon, for starters," I tell him, gesturing to Hookfang.