Hiccup In The Plan | Part 2

I think for a moment before obeying, but suddenly we're surrounded by wild Slitherwings, all ready to defend their island. If we touch them, we're dead meat. I briefly notice the Dragon Master, who seems amused.

One of the Slitherwings startled me by screeching loudly. Immediately all the other Slitherwings look to it, bow and leave. "What... happened?" I ask myself aloud, my eyes slowly finding the Dragon Master.

"You'd be a dead Viking walking if I didn't have a good partner," they claim, walking over to the Slitherwing who appears to be the leader of the pack. "Thank you," he pets it, causing it to rawk happily.

I start asking loads of questions, but I barely get anything concrete in reply. They won't tell me anything about them, that's for sure. They have to be hiding something.

We're laughing over what he did to Snotlout earlier when he throws a jar to me. "What's this?" I ask, catching it. "Monsterous Nightmare gel," Is the answer. "There isn't much left, but there should be enough to blast open three to four amber cases."

"What?"

"I'm leaving this island soon as like I said earlier I have places to be, but I'm not taking any chances with Snotlout. He insulted both of my partners so I'm sure a certain Death Song won't object to holding him in place, if you know what I mean."

"You're going to trap him on an island filled with Slitherwings?"

"The amber casing will prevent him from being poisoned and the Slitherwings won't attack unless given the command by their leader, who I'm on good terms with. It's this or I risk him discovering my island, in which case I'll have to erase his memories like everyone else who stumbles across it."

"I thought it was a myth that you can erase memories."

"You thought my mere existence was a myth, as far as I'm concerned," they retort. "Which is exactly how I like it."

"Then why did you come to Berk?" I question him, confused. "Because you needed my help to relocate a dragon. If it means a dragon's safety, my isolation isn't a question."

I stay silent for a moment, thinking over this. "Why do you stay in isolation anyway?" I can't help but let my curiosity get the best of me. This caused him to tense slightly. Oh, Thor.

"I can't risk my dragons getting discovered by hunters," his calm demeanour vanishes, a defensive edge lacing his tone.

I flinched away from him and his temper, which he notices. Heaving a sigh, he shakes his head. "I can't let my dragons come to harm. They all mean a lot to me. This is why we stay hidden. It's safer this way."

I nod to this, knowing the feeling. I decide to drop the topic altogether since it doesn't exactly being out the best in them and switch to a question I've been wondering for a while now.

"Can I at least know your name?"

He has to think about this for a few seconds, as if they want to tell me but they can't. I know why they feel like this now. "Call me what you like," they tell me eventually. "And what if I'd like to call you by your name?" I persist. "Then that's tough, unless you can guess it," he shrugs at me. "Though I doubt you will."

"Your name won't tell me where your island is," I state the obvious. "Who said that was why I won't tell you my name?" They ask, causing me to be confused. What other reason could there be? "Well why not then?" I have to ask.

"I have my reasons."

"You also have a life that you should be able to live without having to hide everything."

"I don't hide everything."

"Like what?"

"Other people know my name, where I'm from and much more."

"Like who?"

"My associates also value their secrecy."

"I won't tell."

"At what point did you become so persistent?"

"The point I found out you were real," I answer instantly. "For years you were just part of stories. Myths. Old wives tales for children. I never expected any reply from that letter I sent you, I thought I was just being dumb when I sent it. But then you actually show up and remove the Death Song from Berk. I need to know everything."

They simply raise an eyebrow at me, eyeing me up and down. "Well then the first thing you should know is that I would never just blurt everything out to someone I barely know," his voice is emotionless, though not exactly cold. "And even if I do manage to slip up too much, I can always erase your memory of what you know."

"How does that work?" I wonder aloud. "It doesn't matter, just don't give me a reason to show you first-hand," he dismisses the question like he'd said too much already just by saying what he can do to prevent this from happening.

"So why did you and your little posse decide to follow me?" He glares at me accusingly. "Actually, Snotlout went and when I found out he'd gone I sent the twins to stop him because they were the only ones who had the spare time. Obviously not my smartest choice ever.

Once I had the chance I flew out with Toothless and I got there right on time to see you looking like you were trying to choke Snotlout."

I'm about to speak again when two large talons grab him by the shoulders. You know what goes on after this point, with Snotlout and all. I'll just skip the boring parts out, the next interesting part being once Toothless helps him out of Hookfang's grasp.

Toothless slices the rope open and the Dragon Master shot up once their mask was back in place. Too bad we didn't get to see what's under it, that's still got me curious even though I would never stoop to Snotlout's tactics.

That's when the... whispering... started.