Terror Mail

It was four years ago that I came here and the Dragon Sanctuary is livelier than ever. I shouldn't be too surprised, what with Volcana's eggs hatching and the annoying dragon rider who decided to join us the other week. My Sentinels, Trick, Stone and Ore, caught him and his Gronkle flying around the island shouting about a 'legendary hideout belonging to the dragon master from all the myths'. Am I really that well-known? Do I really have myths about me?

Ore flew over and sounded the alarm bell whilst her brothers kept an eye on the dragon rider. They were very protective of their younger sister, so she was always the one to alert me instead of staying close to a potential threat.

Somehow he managed to find the direct entrance to my living space, and needless to say I wasn't too thrilled about having a strange man poking around my bedroom. My Death Song Harmony helped me secure him and his Gronkle before he could learn too much, then my Change Wing Camo hypnotised them, erasing their memories of the sanctuary's existence.

I couldn't have them returning here or telling others of what they saw. That would go against the point of hiding the sanctuary.

I'd ridden Stylive and taken them to Berk, where we dropped off their unconscious forms. We were almost attacked for harming someone they knew, but after a quick word with the chief we got away safely.

As I reflected on the experience, Volcana, my Titan-Wing Gronkle, started nudging me. "I know, girl," I nodded to her, smiling. We were watching her eggs hatch. She'd been excited about this for ages now. The moment they'd started cracking, they'd been moved around the hatchery from an expectancy nest - where Volcana had stayed with them since she'd laid - to the hatching pool.

The hatching pool is like a deep puddle. When dragon eggs hatch, they explode, so it's safer for them to hatch in the water. I toss them into the hatching pool when they begin to crack and a few seconds later a small explosion is followed by a tiny dragon hatchling swimming calmly up to the surface.

This is exactly what is happening now. The eggs have gone underwater already, all three of them. Volcana is obviously allowed in here as the mother of these soon to be hatched dragons, but none of the others are allowed to be here unless I give special permission for it. We do this so that we don't overwhelm the parent or the hatchlings.

Suddenly the water starts bubbling and a soft orange glow forms at the bottom of the hatching pool. Volcana wags her tail excitedly. I step out of the way so that Volcana will be the first thing these hatchlings see and they will then imprint on her because of this.

A small, muffled explosion is heard and I hold my breath in anticipation. A few moments passed before a small hatchling pops up from the water, its eyes instantly locking onto Volcana. The hatchling is a hot pink, just like its mother. I help it out of the hatching pool by scooping it into my arms and holding it up.

"A girl," I tell Volcana, who licks her hatchling lovingly. Two more explosions come from the hatching pool, so I pass the eldest hatchling to Volcana and pick up the others. They're both little boys, one cyan blue and the other Death Song yellow. Volcana nuzzles them all.

I look at the hatchlings. "Do you approve of the names Lily, Solar and Moon?" I ask Volcana. She rawks in response. "Then welcome to the world," I smile to the hatchlings. "Congratulations, Volcana."

I left to allow the new family a moment of privacy, heading to the dining hall. I greet the few dragons that have decided to fish using the river that runs through the large room while I grab a piece of chicken. I forgot to have lunch due to the births of Volcana's hatchlings.

I check through the small window that hides behind some ferns to keep it out of sight. I'm surprised to see it's already dark. "Night, guys, I'm going to bed," I tell my dragons, who all rawk at me. I get to my bedroom and sigh. It's been a long day between preparing for the arrival of three new hatchlings and then helping to hatch said hatchlings.

I remove my dragonscale armour (shedded, not cut from the body of a dragon, obviously) and change from my usual sleeveless, forest green top and brown leather skirt into my white cotton nightdress. Not very fancy, I know, but it's suitable. I collapse onto my bed and close my eyes, slowly drifting off to sleep.

The sound of the alarm bell wakes me up. I quickly hurry to the bell to see Lovelei, my Alpha Night Terror. She jabs her tail at a map of the island. It touches the core. I let out a hiss of annoyance.

Suddenly it hits me. Literally. Something lands on my head. I look to Lovelei for an idea of what it is. She simply analyses it. Another Night Terror, maybe? I pluck it from my head. It's a Terrible Terror.

I see nothing special about it until I notice the note attached to its leg. I unravel it.

If you are reading this, the legend is true. My apologies for not arriving personally, I have tried a few times but am never successful due to defences around the island. I figured this Terror mail would be more efficient.

To us you are known as the Dragon Master, a tale meant for young vikings, though your existence has never been confirmed as a myth as well. If there really is a Dragon Master out there, my island and I would be grateful for your assistance. Our island, Berk, is under attack.

A Death Song has migrated to Berk and appears to be planning on moving in. Our dragons cannot help to drive away a dragon which can hypnotise and immobilise them. The legends we've heard claim you have tamed a Death Song, so we are forced to ask for your aid.

Berk will reward you handsomely for your service should you choose to accept. We are not sure how long we are safe before the Death Song decided to taste a tame dragon.