A New Threat

Once his eyes start to glaze over and his screams subside, I make a tidy gash in his throat to confirm he doesn't return before pulling my mask back up and hurrying over to the dragon, who is still chained up and looking weak.

I slice the chains and examine it quickly, though it doesn't appear to be in any kind of pain. It scuttles away from me, fearful. I slowly move over to it, offering my hand to it. After a while it allows me to calm it down.

"Easy, girl," I soothe it. "Easy. What have they done to you, you poor thing? Lets get out of here, you're free now."

She looked at me for a moment before moving to the door, eyeing me closely. I can't blame her, I have no clue how long she's been in captivity. I open the door. "Turn invisible, then check if anyone is nearby," I tell her quietly. She obeys me instantly, much to my surprise.

A small rawk tells me the coast is clear so I move out slowly. Together the dragon and I make our way through the ship, moving silently. It isn't long until I hear the other captive dragons.

I move in and almost cry at what I see. They're all in cages, chained up and defenceless. I hurry over to the nearest cage and use a pair of keys I find hanging on a hook mounted to a wall to break them out.

The dragons waste no time in escaping so I move onto the next cages. It isn't until the last dragons have been freed that I'm joined by human company.

"Going somewhere?" The voice snarls. Before I can respond, I'm shoved into one of the cages. I keep hold of one of the keys, but let the other one along with the keychain slide off as though I'd unintentionally dropped them.

They grab the key and swiftly lock me into the cage while I slide the other key into my skirt's hidden pouch. Honestly I don't know why people always assume I'm a boy when I have a skirt. Is this what happens with Heather, too?

"Thought you could destroy us so easily, didn't you?" The voice chuckles. I turn and glare at them. If only looks could kill. This guy is much buffer than Slate was but clearly as dumb as the rest of the hunters to have not even noticed the other key was gone.

"Not really, but the dragons did," I spit, pointing out a porthole. Each and every dragon is accounted for flying away. "Yes, you put us back a few weeks, let's just say that," the man agrees. "I see Slate did nothing to convert you to our side."

"Bled to death among his decapitated bodyguards," I state. "Nicest hunter I've met in a long time, actually. Pity it was all an act."

"Well if it makes you feel better, that was the only act we planned to put out," the hunter smirked. "Now get ready to talk. The boss is coming here any minute now."

He left and I chuckled. Once he was probably twenty paces from the door I tried the key. Worked like a charm. That's when I realise if I do leave the cage I have nowhere else to go. There are probably guards on the other side of the door and then they'd just take the key and lock me away again. My safest bet is to find a way directly out or stay in the cage.

I move over to a porthole and try prying it open. Nothing. I'm about to move to another when a large eye peers at me through the porthole.

The Scauldron.

It moves back so I can see it properly and looks upwards. I follow its gaze to see Snotlout, Fishlegs and the twins. They're here! Flashwing got to them!

Loud footsteps rush to the door so I speed back into the cage I was in and pretend I've been locked in here the whole time. The second the door opens I see a man with his large body completely covered, yet I can immediately tell he's that boss the other hunter was telling me about.

"You little sneak!" He spits. "Sending for help from those pathetic Berkians!" "How would I have possibly sent for help so fast when I've been here the whole time?" I demand. "Your dragon must've grabbed them!" He snarled. "Do you see her out there?" I question, cocking an eyebrow. This shut him up.

"Right, let's fix this little issue right here," he grinned, coming over to the cage. When the door swung open for him, unlocked, he scowled and I braced myself.

"That idiot! Never thinks to lock the prisoners up!" He grumbled. That's unexpected, but I'll definitely take it. "Well at least you were a good man and stayed put. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Balkor. I am going to find out everything you know about dragons."

"I would never tell you," I snarl. "Well not with that mask on you won't, I need to get a good look at you, boy," he smirks, coming closer. I was planning on taking him out with my sword but he gets to me first and pulls my mask down, exposing my face.

He blinks, surprised. "You're a girl." "Really? Never noticed," I say sarcastically. Once again I'm about to slice him up into little pieces, but the ship starts to rock and sway dramatically, throwing us roughly around.

I quickly place my sword away so I don't accidentally touch the venom. Balkor seems just as confused about the ship as I am, meaning if it was a dragon hunter, they didn't discuss it with him first. I can only think of one thing.

Sure enough, the Scauldron looks at me through the porthole. I smile to it, silently thanking it.

I'm battered with bruises by now after the activities of today and it doesn't exactly help when I'm knocked out cold when I'm slammed into a wall.