Giving In

I don't hear the boys following, so I think they've finally got the message. I put an arm around Flashwing's neck, earning a soft purr from the dragon.

I already know what I'm going to say when Hiccup inevitably asks what I meant back there. I'll just say that I meant the times I've been on Berk to stock up in the past. Knowing him that may not be enough, but he can't exactly claim he doesn't believe me for whatever reason.

Thankfully Flashwing soon spotted a cave for us to stay in. We move inside and are met with the beating black wings I turned away from earlier. "Do you ever quit?" I sigh to Hiccup as he dismounts Toothless. "Not likely," he replied.

I try and exit the cave but Hiccup steps in front of me. "How come almost every time we meet you end up kidnapping me?" I ask. "What did you mean earlier when you said I forgot you before?" He ignores me.

"I've been here several times, it's actually pretty amusing how you never noticed me coming to Berk for supplies before," I reply. To be honest, it's not really a lie.

"Really?" He asks, surprised. He believes me. Good. "Yes. Now let me go. I'm not a rag doll and I don't expect to be treated as such."

"I can't just leave you alone like this, it isn't right," he says. "Are we really going to do this again?" I sigh. "You can't change my mind and you know it."

"Then we'll just stay out here with you," he shrugs. I'm about to speak but then I'm nudged. A certain black dragon with bright green eyes is looking at me sadly, almost pleadingly.

"No," I tell him, my answer final. "I can't risk anything. It's too dangerous. You and Hiccup have already had several chances to remove my mask and I'm thankful you haven't taken them, but it's only a matter of time before curiosity gets the best of you. I can't give you the chance for it to do so."

Toothless makes a wining sound to me, nuzzling my arm. I sigh slightly and pet the Night Fury. "No matter what, I won't touch your mask," Hiccup tells me gently, finally realising this is a touchy subject. "I promise. Just let us make sure you're safe."

I look to Flashwing, who is eyeing the boys suspiciously. Her tail swishes around, causing weak metallic sounds to echo through the cave like a screaming ghost that is attempting to startle its victims.

"What do you think, girl?" I ask the dragon, who turns her gaze to me. We stare at one another for a moment before she tilts her head as a response. As you can see, she's very helpful in this situation.

"Any funny business at all and you're dead," I finally give in, much to the delight of the boys. "You know, you're a lot like Astrid sometimes," the human one of which comments. "I'm going to take that as a compliment," I reply, already watching him like a hawk. I can't trust him. I might've been able to once, but I'm not a naive and worthless little girl anymore. I have a purpose, I have a family, I have to protect them all.

I pull a few things from Flashwing's saddle bag. Sticks, a little parchment for tinder and some dragon nip. The moment the dragons can smell it they get excited, though Toothless is much worse at containing himself than Flashwing, who is patient enough to let me continue on with my work.

Toothless, on the other hand, is after me like I'm his prey, trying to steal it. I quickly scratch a certain spot under his chin and he collapses by my feet. "Never gets old," I chuckle, tapping him lightly with my boot. He lets out a contented snort.

I set about piling the sticks up correctly. It would be much easier if I had Stylive to help out with her tail spines, but I can't risk bringing her here with me. She'd be recognised even easier than I would be.

After a minute or two I've finally got it ready and I take a step back. "Light it up," I tell Flashwing, who breathes a little fire at it. It immediately catches and burns, illuminating the dim cave a little. Thankfully there isn't any wild dragons in here. That would be a problem.

I offer Flashwing her dragon nip. She takes it eagerly, but doesn't enjoy it straight away. Instead she moved over to Toothless and lays it down next to him. He roars excitedly and licks the side of her face in thanks.

I give Flashwing another helping. "Good girl," I say to her proudly. "Thanks for that," Hiccup grins, smiling slightly to me. "Not a problem, we can always restock on dragon nip on the way back home, after all," I shrug.

"Where do you get it all?" He questions. "There's an island filled with the stuff," I reply. Toothless's eyes widen in wonder at that. I can't help but chuckle and scratch the Night Fury's scales, causing him to purr in delight.

Hiccup and I sit in silence for a while, staring at the small yet comforting fire. Our partners enjoy their dragon nip at our feet. They seem happy enough right now, which is good. It's nice to see Flashwing getting along with other dragons.

"You know, you'd be amazing back at the academy," Hiccup remarks, breaking the silence.

It was an innocent enough comment. It was something that shouldn't have stuck with me. But it did. "It sounds a little boring, to be honest," I say, a little snippy. Since the dragons know the extent of what Hiccup just said they crowd me and nuzzle me affectionately. I pet them both, smiling slightly beneath my mask.

Hiccup is bewildered. "Did I say something wrong?" He asks. "No, no... it's something else," I reply vaguely.