32 | Connor

"Hi."

    There wasn't much else to say when your ex-girlfriend of three days was standing on the doorstep in front of you, looking like a fish out of water who was about to die for lack of air.

    So naturally, I decided to be the one to play it cool.

    I had done the breaking up, after all.

    Yet Sydney was still Sydney, and it didn't take long for her to collect herself--and in an extremely petty way, that upset me a tad bit.

    "Hi." She replied. Her eyes darted back and forth between mine, as if trying to find a way to go back in time and not have knocked on this door. "Can I come in?"

    I nodded and stepped backwards. I wasn't sure what she was doing there, but if there was one thing that was for sure, she was clearly curious as to what I was doing there.

    I wrestled momentarily with the idea of making it seem like I was hooking up with one of the girls who lived in the apartment, before deciding that I wasn't that incredibly heartless.

    I regretted my decision approximately eight seconds later when I saw who walked in the door after Sydney did.

    I had specifically not invited a date to the engagement party. It had been a conscious decision on my part, since I felt that doing so after dumping Sydney would have been rude and insensitive. I had just figured that the gesture would be returned; it seemed like the decent thing to do on either end.

    Especially if she had a six-hour drive over here in the first place.

    Jacob Lanthrop, someone I had only ever seen online, walked through the door after Sydney, giving me a quick nod before stepping past me and into the apartment. I shut the door behind him and looked over my shoulder; Sydney had actually brought someone she knew I had previously gotten jealous over.

    I had never considered her to be especially petty before that moment, and yet there we were.

    I stayed in the doorway for a second as Sydney squealed her hello's to the other five in the apartment; all of whom didn't seem to be surprised by her arrival. She gave Katie, Melissa, Brittany, Dan and Alan all hugs individually before introducing them to Jacob, who she said was her "friend from orchestra."

    I walked into the main room slowly, trying not to look too appalled by what was in front of me. Everyone seemed over-the-moon excited to see Sydney, and I didn't blame them; three days ago I would have been the same way.

    But it wasn't three days ago. It wasn't three days ago, and we weren't dating anymore.

    I sat down on the sofa next to Dan, where I had been placed for our card game just a few minutes earlier. Syd and Jacob took the empty loveseat beside us, and I averted my eyes in what I knew appeared to be incredibly awkward.

    My phone buzzed in my pocket and I took it out, rolling my eyes at the fact that the person who had sent the message was sitting directly next to me.