47 | Sydney

Dear Sydney,

My name is Connor Hall and I was assigned to be your pen pal for my school project. I've never had a pen pal before, and I think it is a bit old-fashioned, but communicating with someone from another state does seem interesting. I hope you find me interesting or exciting, and since I have no idea how to start this communication with a pen pal, I asked for some help.

Those had been the very first words I ever got out of Connor Hall. Those had been the first words ever exchanged in our relationship, and I had thought they were the most important words I would ever hear.

I was wrong.

I heard the words come out of his mouth now. I had known they were coming, I had realized that this would probably be the day I became engaged, but the enormity of the decision hadn't hit me until the moment I heard the words come out of his mouth.

In a matter of moments, the thoughts rushing through my head were incoherent and yet made perfect sense: memories of opening the very first letter from him during high school, the first time I saw him in person, standing in the foyer of my home with his suitcases and family around him. I had known he was the one in that moment, despite the fact that I hardly knew him at all. I hadn't said a word to him in person and yet I knew that Connor Hall was the person I was supposed to be with. That day would remain with me forever, simply because of how it made me feel.

"Mother, please, don't try to embarrass me."

I saw Connor Hall's face for the first time as I descended down the stairs of my Sacramento home, still able to feel the setting spray drying on my face from when I had perfected my makeup three seconds earlier. I couldn't help but smile as I walked down the stairs and saw him gaping at me, his mouth hanging open slightly--though I doubted he was aware of it.

His face though...it said something to me. He wasn't speaking, and I assumed I would have to say the first words, but the feeling I received upon seeing him for the first time--Connor Hall was going to be something to me. He was going to be someone I treasured for the rest of my life. I didn't know how I knew it, but I did.

"Hi!" I smiled as I landed on level ground. "Welcome to California!"

It took him a second to answer.

"Thanks." He managed to get out, standing in silence afterwards. I grinned and grabbed his hand, knowing what to do to break the ice.

"Come with me." I told him, "Leave the suitcase behind, though."

Upon grabbing his hand, the feeling grew stronger. I chose to ignore it though; who wanted their entire life figured out while they were still a junior in high school?

The feeling had been reaffirmed countless times during the time we dated. The time he had cared for me when I had the flu, despite the fact that he was deathly afraid of getting sick. The time I had received a terrible grade on an exam and had cussed out everyone around me, including him, and he had told me I was kind-hearted immediately after.

The time he had been knocked out by my ex-boyfriend for defending my honor before we even started dating officially.

Connor Hall made me a better person, with every minute I spent with him. There was nothing more you could ask for in a spouse. Nothing that would make your life any better than someone who made you the absolute best person you could be.

"Yes." I whispered, feeling tears blur my vision, but not so much that I couldn't see the giant smile lighting up his face. "Yes Connor Hall, I will marry you."

He jumped up and slid the ring on my left hand before grabbing me with the most passionate kiss I had ever experienced. I wrapped my hands in his hair, laughing as I kissed him as lovingly as I possibly could. The ring felt perfect on my finger, as if it were made just for me.

Which, knowing Connor, it easily could have been.

"I love you, Sydney." Connor whispered, pulling away from me. "I love you more than I thought it was possible to love anyone."

I looked up at him and couldn't keep the smile off my face; how lucky was I to have found someone so incredibly wonderful at such a young age.

"I love you too, Connor." I replied, "I love you with everything I have and everything I am. You're the only person I could ever want."

And I felt that. I meant it with all of my being. Even when we had been broken up, I couldn't see myself with anyone else. I couldn't see myself being happy with anyone but Connor Hall. The man I had loved for four years. He inspired me in so many ways to be a better version of myself, and he made me want to be that person for not only him, but for me.

I was going to get married.

I was going to marry the love of my life. A week ago, I wouldn't have believed it. But standing there, with him, I didn't think there was anyplace I was better off being.

A/N: Yes, the chapter is short. No, I don't have an excuse.

Thoughts on the proposal/answer? Also, if the flashbacks don't exactly match the Wattpad version of Dear Sydney, that's because they exactly match the printed version, to make it easier for me when I'm publishing this book. If you guys even want me to publish this book.

Let me know what you thought of the chapter! The chapters of this book are winding down, but there are still the nine epilogues.

-Katherine