Chapter 5 : Differences and Denials

Mei woke up and checked his watch

Mei woke up and checked his watch. He didn't meant to fall sleep for an hour or two, but maybe, his fatigue just got the best of him. He heads to the bathroom, washed his face and brushed his teeth. He went to Tyler's room but the little boy was nowhere in sight. His son's new room is neat, well made. He noticed his son's toys already arranged on the shelves. He checks all the rooms upstairs then decided to come down. Where in this house my son went? He asked himself.

Mei walked into the kitchen and froze. He felt like he just walked on heaven. He also felt like his grandmother was right there, in every scent.

Sugary and sweet. Herby and sharp. Yeasty and fresh. Grandma Martha used to cook like this. When he was young, Timmy will always find a way to make him ran out of the kitchen, making him listen to their voices while cooking.

"How did you manage all of these in just a couple of hours?" He asked pointing to two big bowls, one full of lavender and one full of dandelion greens. There were also loaves of bread steaming on the counters.

"Hi, feeling good?" Timmy replied, that makes Tyler turn around. Tyler was standing on a chair next to Timmy, painting the pansy flowers with egg whites.

"I'm fine. I just needed a little nap," Mei replied.

Tyler jumped down from his chair and ran to Mei and hugged him. He was wearing a blue apron with a 'Xu's Catering' sign on it.

"I'm helping Uncle Timmy paint the pansies and put them on top of custard tops. Look," Tyler ran back to his chair by the counter.

"Maybe later, babe. Let's go get our things from the car and let your Uncle Timmy do his work,"

"Tyler and I brought everything in yesterday," Timmy said blankly.

Mei looked at his watch again. "What are you talking about? I was only asleep for two  hours!" Mei exclaimed.

"You arrived yesterday morning. You've been asleep for the past 26 hours." Timmy explained.

Mei's heart lodged in his throat. He sat down unintentionally. He left his son alone for 26 hours. Did Tyler say anything to Timmy about Edison? Did Timmy care for Tyler? "Tyler...."

"Is a good boy. He helped me around," Timmy said. "He doesn't say much but he is a fast learner. We cooked all day yesterday, he had his bubble bath last night and I also tucked him in his bed. We started cooking again this morning." Timmy added, knowing what's going on inside his younger brother's mind.

"Here, have some coffee," Timy said. "Uncle Alex is coming over today to see you,"

"Stay, Daddy. Watch what I can do." Tyler said.