Chapter 15 : It Takes Two To Tango

"Okay, listen to me, Vin, Tyler and I will visit Jinshan City beach

"Okay, listen to me, Vin, Tyler and I will visit Jinshan City beach. We will be gone for some hours but we will be back soon because Vin needs to be home at 5 pm for their housekeeper will go home and if you ever needed me, all you have to do is call. We'll be back." Mei reminded Timmy, who is preparing some lunch.

Timmy closed the lid of the picnic basket and handed it to Mei. He really must have scared Mei that night a week ago. But as long as Timmy pretended it was all okay, maybe it really was. Mei and Vin had spent a lot of time together this past week, dinners with Tyler, mostly. Last Sunday, they went to the movies. Timmy tried to tell himself that it was a good thing. Timmy used that time alone to catch up on some paperworks.

"Will you be okay there?" Timmy asked, following Mei out of the kitchen.

"Of course. Why wouldn't we be?"

"It's pretty far out and you'll be all alone,"

Mei laughed and set the basket by the front door. "We'll be lucky if we find a place to eat our lunch. That beach is always crowded in summer."

"Even on a Monday?"

"Even on a Monday."

"Oh," Timmy said, slightly embarrassed. "I didn't know. I've never been there"

"So come with us!" Mei replied, just as he said every time he went out this past week.

"What? No!" Timmy exclaimed.

"Yes," Mei grabbed Timmy's hand. "Please? You have to stop saying no to me. It will be fun. You've lived here most all your life and you've never been to the beach. Everyone goes to the beach at some point. Come on. Please?"

"I don't think so."

"I really want you to come," Mei said, squeezing Timmy's hands hopefully.

Timmy felt a familiar anxiousness or maybe it was a learned anxiousness. It was how his grandmother always acted at the thought of doing something purely social. Work was fine amd Timmy didn't socialize when he works, he communicated.

"I'm sure you and Vin want this time together." Timmy replied.

"No, we don't." Mei replied, suddenly serious. "We're just friends. We've always been friends. That's what I like about him. This is for Tyler. You packed the picnic, at least come eat it. Hurry, go change."

Timmy couldn't believe he was actually considering it. He looked down at his white short and sleeveless shirt. "Change into what?"