six

After more than just a moment of something that's almost silence; as it's accompanied by the light rustle of leaves from wind flowing gently, he answers.

"There's not much to tell," is his response, him looking down at the ground and away from me awkwardly. "sorry."

"I'm sure there's something," I insist, hoping there is. I want to know more about him, why he's so lonely but seems so careless. "how about I just ask you some stuff?"

"I don't know..." He protests, but I decide against him.

"Tell me about... How about your family?" I ask, wondering what's a good thing to start on. His facial expression drops, his eyes full of worry, and I realise I've made a mistake. "No, no, nevermind! Forget I said that! How about- how about any interests? What do you do?"

"Uh- What do I do? I go to school, I come here after school, I sleep, I eat. That's all." He answers, and I don't believe it. How can someone not have any interests; or anything that they do?

"That doesn't sound very fun," I say, trying to brighten the mood with a breathy chuckle. "at all."

"It's not particularly, you're right." He agrees, laughing audibly, as appose to mine.

"Well, we'll have to change that," I state, kicking my feet on the ground to set the swing high up into the air. "So," I shout, swinging not-so-gracefully, him doing the same, with a slight bit more forte. "you like any music?"

"Uh, mainly unpopular emo shit. You wouldn't have heard of it." He answers awkwardly, and I slow the swing down, nodding my head.

"Yeah, probably not. Still, it's not a bad thing, I've just never really heard 'emo' music." I answer almost as awkwardly as him, and he visually cringes.

"Uh, y-yeah."

"How about movies, any particular ones you like?" I ask, both of our swings at a halt now.

"Anything horror is great, why?" He asks, and I convince myself that there's no reason, and him too.

"I dunno, just making conversation. I like horror, too, I guess."

We stay in comfortable mute, my eyes travelling across him. He's short, and cute, very much so of both. In the few times I've seen him, he's been wearing all black, so I can sense a theme. His hair is curly, sometimes just tame waves, most times a fluffy mess, which is adorable. His feet are tiny, and he's awkward, so they're tapping against the ground and placed clumsily in shoes that are obviously too big. He has black stud piercings in his ears, too. He's pretty.

Suddenly, that quietness is broken by him. "Aren't you gonna ask about why I'm so fucking short?! Why I might as well be a child, or-or a girl! Are you just saving it for later, to make me feel like crap?!" He shouts, and I'm taken aback. Why the fuck did he flip out.

Once he's stopped his words, he shoves his head in the palms of his hands, trembling. 

"I'm so sorry, I-I don't know why I did that, I-"

"It's fine, I get it. I hear people being assholes to you. I don't mind about your height, well- it's cute, so I like it, but even if you weren't short, I'd find you cute."

"O-Oh, okay- uh, sorry, again. I'm just stressed, so I kinda-"

"Don't stress over it, then you'll be even more stressed. I should probably start heading home, it's sorta late. You should do the same, wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you if it gets dark." I explain, grabbing my school bag which I had thrown on the ground earlier and walking so that I'm stood in front of him sat on the swing, looking down at him.

"I'll get back home soon," He says, emphasising the 'home' bit for no apparent reason. "b-bye."

"Bye, I'll see you tomorrow, I hope!" I say, ruffling his head of curls and walking off. I really do hope he gets home soon: I want him to be safe.