thirty eight

Phil hops into the driver's seat, and we turn to each other, staring for a brief second, before realising, and both giggling.

"I can't believe this is happening!" I blurt out; far too excited for past 12 am.

"Oh, I almost forgot-" He begins, reaching into the back of the car, pulling out a wrapped present. "Happy birthday!" 

I gasp, taking it from his hands. "Are you sure? You didn't have to!"

He nods, and I begin to rip the paper, this being the first actual gift I've received for longer than I care to count. When I pull out what it is from the wrapping, I look up at Phil and burst out laughing. It's a black beanie; my aesthetic, obviously; but the word 'stupid' is written in white across the front.

"Just one question, uh, why?" I ask with a giggle, showing the hat over my messy, overly-curly hair.

"Well, I wanted to get you something that wasn't just a dumb gift that meant nothing, so I got this. And before you say that that's exactly what this is, hear me out. The first time we properly spoke was in that park, and when I left, I ruffled your hair, and ever since then, I've kept doing it. I thought maybe you'd want something to make me stop." He says, chuckling, and I let out a small 'aw'.

"You're stupid!" I say fondly with a giggle, pulling the beanie down over my ears.

"That's what it says on the hat, idiot." He says, and I remember exactly why I'm gladly running away with him; he makes me forget everything, he makes me happy. "You cold?" He asks, "You're only in pyjamas! You walked over here like that?"

"Yeah, uh, k-kinda cold, but it's fine," I tell him, hoping that he won't mind, though; and that we can just leave.

(I JUST CHECKED INSTAGRAM AND DAN AND PHIL ARE GOING ON TOUR SO IM GONNA BUY TICKETS WOO!!!!)

He clambers into the back, pulling something out of his bag, and then getting back in the front. What he passes me is his clothes, with is obvious to me, based on how nice and big they are. It's a pair of trackies and a warm t-shirt.

"I'll look away while you change, don't worry." He states, and I blush.

"I don't mind." I squeak, and at that moment I'm so embarrassed that just dying right now would be ideal.

"You're cute, Danny."