twenty two

Phil opens the car door for me, and I hop in, thanking him quietly, him then slamming the door shut. The seats are too high for my feet to touch the ground, so I swing my legs slightly, looking down at my feet. Phil gets into the other side, my head kept down as he starts the engine, and then we're driving. I haven't gotten around to learning to drive yet, so that's just a reminder. I didn't apprehend how awkward this could be, or how many issues might occur, though I'd be making things worse if I let them weigh down in me now.

"Anyway, we're gonna go back to mine for a little while before the game, if that's okay with you," He says, breaking the silence, to which I'm thankful for. I nod my head slowly, not mentally prepared for loud cheers and large crowds just yet. "and then we head there, the team gets to have guests on the first few rows, so that's where you'll be. I'll make sure you're okay, and everything, and show you where to go. Each half of the game is 40 minutes, and in between, we have a break for, like, 10, 20, minutes, I dunno, so I'll come to see you then." 

"S-Sounds great,"

"I'm glad," He says brightly, smiling, but still keeping his vision on the road, which is something I appreciate. "so, then there's another 40 minutes, and then a sorta party thing with the team and their guests, but don't worry, I'll keep them the fuck away from you, we don't even have to go if you don't want," He says, giving me a sense of reassurement. I trust him to keep those assholes away from me.

"We can go to it, I mean, if you want to,"

"Okay, well, we're here," He states, the car coming to a halt and engine stopping.

We both step out, and he locks the car, unlocking the front door to his house.

"My, uh, my-my step-mum is out, so we- that's good," He says, hesitating at the part where he says 'step-mum'. I get it, families can be embarrassing, especially when you don't have one.

Once we walk in, the undeniable scent of alcohol slams into my nose and Phil pulls a panicked face, matching mine, which is of disgust.

"That's my step-mum! I swear, I'm not some alcoholic, but she is." He affirmed, picking up a few empty bottles scattered on the ground. "Fucking hell," He half-gasps, "does she never clean up?" He asks himself rhetorically. "We should, uh, go to my room, then."

"Okay," I say, and he grips my hand lightly, pulling me up a set of stairs and through a door. I take a seat on his bed, and he sits down at his desk, spinning the chair around so that he's facing me. I start to mess with my fingers, tapping my feet rhythmically against the ground. "Sorry, I'm not a very interesting person," I apologise, feeling even more embarrassed now.

"I think you are," He protests, giving me a look laced with more care than I've ever seen.

"I don't even know how rugby works!" I admit, shaking my head and looking away from him.

"That's fine! I didn't invite you for you to just watch a rugby game, though I hope you can at least stand it, I invited you cause I like you. I really, really like you. And trust e, I don't like boring people."

"Okay, thanks; I like you too, a lot."