Chapter 14: Chit Chat

Danny thought about a great solution for his dilemma. Duplication should do the trick. That way he can celebrate Christmas even with two parties. After all, every duplicate is him, not just a part, so no one will be offended.

However Harry was worrying Danny. He barely spoke, came down only to eat. Ron told Phantom that they learned about Mr. Weasley being attacked from him. Because Harry saw it. From the snake's point of view. Maybe that was the reason, depression? Hard to pinpoint what he was feeling and what he thought about, but it was certainly nothing good.

Danny went to Buckbeak's room, where Harry was hiding, along with Hermione. Mrs. Black started to scream, hearing them approach. He just set part of her portrait on fire, just to make her silent. And it worked, he scared her beyond measure, making Danny smile in pleasure of final silence. Hermione started to hammer hard on the door.

"I know you're in there," said Hermione's voice, "Will you please come out? I want to talk to you"

"What are you doing here?" Harry asked her, pulling open the door as Buckbeak resumed his scratching at the straw-strewn floor for any fragments of rat he may have dropped, "I thought you were skiing with your mom and dad?"

"Well, to tell the truth, skiing's not really my thing," said Hermione, "So, I've come here for Christmas", There was snow in her hair and her face was pink with cold, "But don't tell Ron. I told him skiing's really good because he kept laughing so much. Mum and Dad are a bit disappointed, but I've told them that everyone who is serious about the exams is staying at Hogwarts to study. They want me to do well, they'll understand. Anyway," she said briskly, "let's go to your bedroom, Ron's mom has lit a fire in there and she's sent up sandwiches"

"Mm, just imagine, Harry, how delicious they are," Danny said, making Harry's stomach to grumble. He hadn't breakfast today.

Harry followed them back to the second floor. When he entered the bedroom, he was rather surprised to see both Ron and Ginny waiting for them, sitting on Ron's bed.

"I came on the Knight Bus," said Hermione airily, pulling off her jacket before Harry had time to speak, "Dumbledore told me what had happened first thing this morning, but I had to wait for term to end officially before setting off. Umbridge is already livid that you lot disappeared right under her nose, even though Dumbledore told her Mr. Weasley was in St. Mungo's and he'd given you all permission to visit. So ..."

She sat down next to Ginny, and the two girls, Ron and Danny all looked up at Harry.

"How're you feeling?" asked Hermione.

"Fine," said Harry stiffly.

"Oh, don't lie, Harry," she said impatiently, "Ron and Ginny say you've been hiding from everyone since you got back from St. Mungo's"

"They do, do they?" said Harry, glaring at Ron and Ginny. Ron looked down at his feet but Ginny seemed quite unabashed.

"Well, you have!" she said, "And you won't look at any of us!"

"It's you lot who won't look at me!" said Harry angrily.

"Maybe you're taking it in turns to look, and keep missing each other," suggested Danny, grinning.

"Very funny," snapped Harry, turning away.

"Oh, stop feeling all misunderstood," said Hermione sharply, "Look, the others have told me what you overheard last night on the Extendable Ears..."

"Yeah?" growled Harry, his hands deep in his pockets as he watched the snow now falling thickly outside, "All been talking about me, have you? Well, I'm getting used to it"