/ one

“alright, students. your final project is due one month from today. i'd like you to take a picture of the most beautiful thing you can find.” mr. simmons addressed the class, sending everyone into an excited chatter.

“but,” he spoke once again, “a five page essay is due along with it.”

the whole class groaned unanimously.

my mind raced, photography was my best class. god, it was the only fun class. not even a five page essay could dull my liking.

the bell rang and everyone scrambled to pack up their stuff. when i was almost out of the door, i heard mr. simmons yell, “don’t forget to use your imagination!”

what he’d meant by that was, don’t be pretentious and take a picture of a god damn flower.

i’m sure 70% of the class would, river oaks high didn’t house the brightest bunch of kids.

it was my senior year of high school, meaning i could take fewer classes if i wanted to. which, of course, i did.

photography was my only class on tuesdays and thursdays, all the other bullshit landing on monday, wednesday, and friday.

i walked to the parking lot, spotting my rusty blue truck from the doors of the school. it was hard to miss.

i climbed in and started it up and the radio blasted music immediately.

“don’t forget to use your imagination!” mr. simmons words lingered in my brain. imagination, what could spark that?

jesus, what did old men even consider beauty?

scratch that, what did i consider beauty? sunsets, rainbows and the nature bullshit weren’t going to cut it.

if i was going to get a good grade in any class this year, it was going to be this one. i needed something great.

i drove into town, a short drive considering river oaks was just outside. figuring that maybe my mind would work a little better after some coffee and a bagel, i parked the truck and walked into the cafe on the corner.

i came out ten minutes later with a full stomach and a hot drink in my hand.

discarding my truck for the moment, i began to walk towards the park. bryant park, to be exact.

and that’s where i saw you.

-

im so excited about this yeee

vote if you liked it!!