Our Small Beginnings

“Rudhra, I want to confess to you about something.” I said.

“It’s okay Sams. I know your real weight. It doesn’t change my feelings for you.”

“Aww thank you so much Rudra. Me too. When you cried like a baby after watching the horror movie,  it didn’t change my feelings for you at all.” I said.

“I cried because the ghost reminded me of you.” He said.

“She was prettier.” He added, his face contorting into that horrible devil grin.

Ohmygawwd! When would this devil stop spewing venom?

“I know. But she doesn’t love you like I do.” I said.

Bad-dum-tssss

A sudden bout of shyness flashed his face, and he looked distracted in the chair he was sitting. “I was lying, Sams.”

“Huh?”

“You are the most prettiest.”

How to win an argument against Rudhra: Randomly unnerve him with sudden spells of romance.

“Rudhra, you are the only one who thinks that way. I was just about to say that earlier. I have a confession to make. I don’t know how to pose for a picture.” I said.

“That’s not true, just smile like you always do.” He said.

“Easy for you to say, Rudhra. When I smile I really look like if Shaggy from Scooby Doo got a stroke.” I said, showing the picture my friend Meera had taken of me during one of our sleepovers.

“Well, I know for a fact that that’s not true.” He said sincerely.

“Aww. Really?” I asked him.

“No. You look just like Popeye when he gets beat up by the fat guy with the beard.”

Too bad those spells of romance worked only for a few moments.

“Wow. Thanks Rudhra. That’s the best compliment you’ve ever given me.” I said dryly.

He pulled out the Nikon camera from the bag, and turned it on. “Why are you so angry for? Popeye was my most favourite cartoon in the world.”

“Thanks, Rudhra.” I said. “Now, will you teach me how to pose?”

He spent the entire hour trying to teach me to pose.  He told me his ‘tips’, like sometimes we had to keep the chin up, and sometimes we had to keep it down, depending on the lighting. But in fact, he was making it much more complicated than it already was.

‘Posing for a photograph is a complicated science. Not many understand it.’ His words.
I laughed at his words for ten minutes.

“Rudhra, you are so useless. I haven’t learnt anything at all.” I mean, it had been an hour and I was still making Derpy Derp face.

“You are a hopeless cause, let me tell you.” He said, with that annoying devilish grin on his face. “You should just let me stand next to you all the time.”

“Why ?”

“Everyone will look at me and not at you!” He said, his devil grin contorting into a menacing devil laugh, that spread across half his face. He had to be destroyed immediately, and for good.

“Really, Rudhra.” I said, inching close towards him. “I am not sure I’ll be able to just stand  still when I am next to you..”

“Then?”