Welcome Back - 2.

Thursday, December 15, 2016Houston, TX

Houston, TX

Hopping off the plane, the first thing I did was take in the smell and scenery around me. I haven't been in Houston in so long that I forgot what it even looked like.

Unlike in D.C, it actually felt like Christmas time here. It was oddly much colder and the way the airport was set up, you had no other choice but to be in the Christmas spirit. There were plenty of decorations to celebrate the holiday.

With two fully packed suitcases, I walked and looked around until I finally laid eyes on the person I was looking for.

I chuckled seeing the Welcome Home, Beyoncé sign. My mom was so extra.

"My baby!" She exclaimed slowly running into my arms. I dropped my bags and embraced my mother. She smelled so amazing and she looked just as great.

"I missed you mama." I said. She pulled away from the hug and I wiped the tears that fell from her face. She was such a cry baby, but it was her personality. I was the tough one along with my older sister. I guess you can say we got that much from our father.

"Hey daddy." I said, finally able to hug my father Mathew. Just like my mom, he embraced me in a warm hug before grabbing my bags and putting them in his SUV.

"So how you been?" My dad asked.

"She obviously been okay if her ass haven't came home in five years!" My mom butted in. My dad drove off with me in the passenger seat and my mother in the backseat behind me.

"I've been great, dad." I said, putting emphasis on his name. I could hear my mom chuckling behind me.

"I'm just happy to be back here," I added, "I know I shouldn't have been gone for that long but I hope y'all understand. I've been trying to be great, you know? And I hope you guys are happy for me and where I'm at in my life."

"Of course we are," My dad said, reaching over to grab my hand, "We want you happy, healthy and successful. That's all. I'm happy to have my baby girl home."

I could hear my mom snickering her ass off like something was funny so I turned around and looked at her, "Mama are you not happy for me?"

"Baby you know I am! But I don't agree on your reasoning for not coming home. You don't have to visit every month, I'm just saying. Every once in awhile is okay, but five years?"

I sighed. I should have known this was going to be an issue. It's not like we didn't Facetime and text every single day, or every other day. We did! She's just being dramatic as per fucking usual.

"Okay mom. I'm sorry. Hopefully the time I'm here will make up for the years lost."

The rest of the ride home was quiet, but not an awkward quiet. I was too busy sight-seeing to pick up a conversation. Nothing much had changed like I thought it would, but it was still a difference.