Chapter 5: Sydney

Sydney allowed herself thirty minutes to grieve Liz. Just thirty minutes, and then she had to pull herself together and figure out what was going on.

Jasper held her for the first ten minutes, even letting a few tears spill with her. But, Sydney knew he was being strong for her sake. He hadn't known Liz as long as Sydney, but that didn't mean he didn't love her like she did.

"I'm going to go see what I can find in here for a weapon," Jasper said after the first ten minutes. "I'm not expecting much, since this is the library."

"Well, grab a couple hardcover books if you can't find anything else," Sydney said, trying to smile, but it pained her, and Jasper could see it all over her face.

"I promise I will be right back," he said, giving her one last look. Then he turned the corner and left.

That was almost twenty minutes ago.

Where are you, Jasper?

Sydney was starting to get worried. Even though the bombs had stopped going off right before he left, she still didn't feel safe and didn't like the idea of him being alone out there.

If only I wasn't hurt. I could be out there with you, equally helping.

She wasn't sure what was causing the pain in her leg, but it made it impossible for her to walk.

I just hope it's not broken. Please, anything but that.

The last thing Sydney wanted in this time if crisis was to be a burden, unable to use what she had learned to help others. Jasper was putting his training to good use, and that stirred a little jealousy in Sydney. But she was grateful that at least he could do something. At least he was still alive. Tears fell at the thought of that. It was a mix of happiness, but also bitterness that both her friends hadn't survived.

A few minutes later, the front door she originally had come through burst open, and Sydney hid behind the only chair in the room, trying to think of what her next move should be.

Jasper went further into the library, not out, so it can't be him, right?

She ruled out the possibility of her beating whoever it was in a fight, only because of the condition of her leg. She felt confident that any other day she would be able to take on whoever just came in, but today they caught her off her game. Instead, she had to trust they couldn't see her, and hope they'd just pass her by. But, then they'd be headed toward Jasper, and she had no way to warn him.

She quieted her thoughts the moment she heard footsteps run into the room she was in. They paused, and then she heard stuff fall to the ground.

"No. God, please, not her too!"

Jasper.

"How could I manage to lose them both?!" he cried out.

Sydney crawled as quickly as she could to him.

"I'm here. I'm right here."

He didn't hesitate to help her to her feet and hug her.

"Oh, thank God. I thought I took too long and they had gotten to you," he said into her hair.

Sydney pulled back from the embrace, slightly hopping on her one good leg.

"What do you mean, they?" she asked, her right brow raising in curiosity.

"Well, I didn't settle for just what was in the library because I knew books weren't going to be enough," he said, looking to his feet.

Sydney looked down as well and saw what Jasper had brought back.