Chapter 7: Casey

The next morning, Casey woke up feeling emotionally drained. He had spent the night thinking of his father, something he rarely allowed himself to do. The main reason for that was because of the toll it took on his body and mind. Losing someone before their naturally intended to go is a hard thing to swallow. Coping with it is an even harder thing to do.

I need to get ready to go.

Getting up, Casey threw on his favorite green tee, cut-off knee length khakis, and his hiking boots. He had to pack for an overnight journey, so he grabbed another t-shirt and pair of jeans.

With his clothes on and packed, Casey grabbed his father's pocket knife, one of the few things he kept for himself after his father's death, and put it in his pocket. Then he headed to the kitchen to pack up the food he would need to take with him.

Setting his bag on the table, Casey filled up his canteen with water, and poured some soup into a thermos for later, along with a couple rolls of bread. With that packed away, he headed to his mother's room.

Knock Knock Knock!

Casey knocked on her door, but got no response. After waiting a couple more seconds, he decided to just enter anyway.

He saw his mother still asleep, with Noah wrapped in her arms. His little brother was snoring, asleep as well.

Man, I hate to wake them, but I told her I would before I left.

Despite his urge to let them sleep, Casey shook Elena awake.

"Hmmm?" She hummed, already drifting back to sleep.

"Morning, Ma," he greeted her. "I was just saying 'goodbye' before I left."

"Oh," she said, quickly opening her eyes and letting go of her hold on Noah. "I forgot you were leaving."

She sat up at the edge of her bed, her chestnut hair a mess, and rubbed her eyes before looking up at Casey's. They had the same dark brown eyes, unlike Noah, who's eyes were a hazel green, like the father he would never know.

"Did you pack everything you need?" Elena asked.

Casey smiled at his mother, laughing to himself.

No matter how old I get she still treats me like a child.

"Yes, Ma," he answered.

"Are you sure? Did you get some water? And what about a comb or something to brush your hair? You never know who you could meet while you're-"

"I'm only going to be gone a day. My hair will be fine for that long," he chuckled. "And I'm going to be very focused on this trip. I won't be meeting anyone," he emphasized, knowing what his mother was insinuating.

"Besides," he added. "I think you should be more concerned about your hair."

"Oh, just get out of here," Elena shooed, as she felt the mess that was her hair. Casey just laughed, enjoying this moment with his mother.

"Just promise to be careful," she added, as Casey was leaving her room.

"I will!" he promised from their living room.

The last thing he grabbed was some of the money he had saved up from selling the hides of animals he hunted. He hadn't gotten much lately since he wasn't catching any big game, but he had managed to save what he would need. With that tucked away, he grabbed his pack from the kitchen and headed out the front door.

When he was outside, Casey was greeted with a strong wind from the east.

Great. Looks like a storm is brewing.